Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Live Music is Alive and Well in the Quad-Cities

Last weekend I saw more proof than ever that we have a hot music scene right here in the Quad-cities. Although I’ve been hearing rumblings to the contrary from some quarters, I witnessed some really cool and busy events with my own eyes. I wish I could have been everywhere, but I’m only one person, and really want to spend enough time at each location to really get a feel for what is going on. Not only that… but this old gal sometimes needs her sleep too!

There were so many cool locations to choose from, and so little time, so I headed out both Friday and Saturday night. Unfortunately for those on the Illinois side of the river, there was so much to see on the Iowa side, I never made it across a bridge. I started out early Friday evening at the River Music Experience. Although I had previously considered attending the Toasters concert upstairs in the Redstone Room, I knew I wanted to check out a bunch of young blues musicians who were playing downstairs on the Community Stage. Besides – who can turn down a free show? The band downstairs was The Harris Collection. I hear they’re all related, except for one member. And when I say young, well, everyone is young to me. When they played their opening number, I was absolutely drawn in. Yes, the camera came out. So did the camcorder (with their permission).  For an up-and-coming band, they were beyond expectations. I wouldn’t say they were up-and-coming, I would say they’ve arrived. If you like blues, you really owe it to yourself to see these guys. They’re that good. I would also like to mention that Mojo’s was packed for this show. The Harris Collection drew in quite the mix of people – some of whom I’m sure had arrived for the Toasters concert and stopped downstairs when they heard the crazy awesome music coming from Mojos.  I reluctantly left after only one set, as I had another stop to make that night.



I moved on to The Muddy Waters in downtown Bettendorf, one of my favorite stops for blues. Yes, Friday was definitely a blues kind of night. The local blues band Serious Business had been recommended. Serious Business consists of John, Johnny and Lyle Pena, Ron LaPuma and Perry Hultgren. They put on a good blues show – for a packed and rowdy house.

Saturday night I started out back at the Muddy Waters. A band called Schitzengigles was playing. This band was suggested by not one but two people… and I thought what the heck, with a name like that it will probably be a rowdy good time! Schitzengigles is a good band, with a solid sound, but not blues (which is what I’m used to hearing at Muddy’s) and not nearly as rowdy as I expected. From the size of the crowd at Muddy’s (even bigger than the crowd the night before), I would say they have a great following! After a set, I wandered out of The Muddy Waters and headed down the street for a stop at Purgatory’s Pub.

At Purgatory’s I found a band playing in the dark (well, nearly). Conspiracy Theory was playing by the light of four small stage lights … and the reading lights attached to the top of a couple of music stands. It was definitely too dark for my cameras in there! But they had a good crowd, and all seemed to be having a good time.
I left Purgatory’s before Conspiracy Theory finished their set. I was looking for something and hadn’t quite found it. A short drive to the Village of East Davenport led me to Bleyart’s tap and…


…Justin. Morrissey. Apparently I was looking for acoustic music Saturday night, because I kicked back and enjoyed the heck out of his acoustic set. I even got out the camera and snapped a few shots – though Justin’s face was hidden under a hat and behind the microphone (and his harmonica) for most of the set.

Upcoming, we have a full weekend (especially Saturday night!) of music in the Quad-Cities. Friday night is another opportunity to check out The Harris Collection, as they are doing a 9-1 show at the Brady Street Pub. Or, if you like the sound of brass… check out the horn-driven sound of Secret Squirrel. They’re going to be at Fargo in Moline Friday night.

Saturday night, I’ll be at Tim’s Corner Tap. Steve McFate is hosting an acoustic jam session. Expect to see some of the QC’s finest musicians jamming with Steve. I’m even looking forward to singing a song or two. There might be a surprise guest. We never know who will turn up when Steve is hosting a jam.

If there’s time, I would like to stop by the RME. Our local blues band gone international, The Candymakers, is holding their CD release party Saturday night in the Redstone Room.

There are plenty of other opportunities as well. My pals Wicked Nature will be rocking the house at Purgatory’s in Bettendorf, Rootless Experience is putting on a show at the Eagles Lodge on west Locust street, Danika Holmes is playing the Grape Life (there’s nothing like kicking back on a couch with good wine and enjoying good music) and Cosmic will be playing the Mound Street Landing. There are plenty more shows going on – check out your local bar on Facebook, or check out the event calendars in our papers or online. Support your Local Live Music Scene… because it’s sizzling hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment