Thursday, June 14, 2012

Music and More: It’s Summer and That Means…


I wonder if anyone thought I might be skipping the live music blog this week. Absolutely NOT! On top of all my other activities, I hit a few live music shows too, and I absolutely have to remind everyone to attend a certain motorcycle rally…

Nervous Rex returns!
Let’s start with Thursday. I always seem to start with Thursday. But I’m going to do it again this week. Only, my week didn’t start out at a Jam session, it started at Bass Street Landing with the return of a local favorite band, “Nervous Rex”. I would like to state for the record that I never saw Nervous Rex before Thursday. I’m sorry about that – because I really got into their tunes Thursday evening. Rex definitely has a blues-influenced sound.  There is no doubt in my mind I’ll be seeing more of this band!



Jam sessions bring together musicians from all walks

On my way home from the Bass Street Landing show in Moline, I stopped by The Muddy Waters to check out Johnny O’s Jam. As usual, the crowd was good and the music better. I am absolutely a blues fan, and most of the folks who show up at Muddy’s have that blues feel. One of these weeks, I’m taking Friday off work so I can stay late at the jam. I suspect I’m missing out on some great musicians as the evening always runs later than I can stay.



Lee's Go-go dancers
Due to Saturday’s Race for the Cure, I decided not to stay out late Friday night – I had an early morning. And I’m no morning person! I did spend a little time at Cool Beanz with Lee Blackmon. I’m beginning to see Lee’s shows as an opportunity to keep my voice oiled up and my ear tuned. Friday night was no exception, though Cool Beanz is one of the locations where Lee gets plenty of takers for the sing-along. He had a couple of cute go-go dancers this week as well. 





More District Theatre here
Saturday night I attended the District Theatre’s show “We Are Young”. I had so much to write about the show that I gave it a separate blog post, which you can see here. Vid James, drummer and vocalist for Nervous Rex was involved with this show and sent me the invite. 






Sundays are usually reserved for family gatherings, church-type stuff and preparing myself for the upcoming workweek (which often includes recovering from a busy weekend!) However, I had scheduled my first portrait session for Sunday evening along Ben Butterworth Parkway, which yielded an opportunity for dinner and live music at The Captain’s Table. 


It turns out that the Dirt Road Rockers were playing Sunday evening on the outdoor stage. I’ve seen this bunch before, but they’ve had a personnel change since the last time I saw them. The band is sporting a new bass player. This was a good opportunity to hear them. The last time I saw the band they were inside at Martini’s, which is a very small venue. They’re well-suited to an outdoor venue.

What’s up for the weekend?
In case you haven’t heard the rumbling, there’s a motorcycle rally going on…
Just a quick rundown of the bands scheduled at the Mississippi River Motorcycle Rally:
Thursday – In the Scooters tent: Vigil Annie, High Drama, Dirt Road Rockers.
In the Choppers tent: Crossroads
On the Corona stage: Stuart Mathews, Keep Off The Grass

Friday – In the Scooters tent: Corporate Rock, Natty Scratch, Geneva
In the Choppers tent:  Modern Mythology, Bottoms Up Burlesque, Tronicity, Tailfins, Sugar Nipples
On the Corona Stage: Wes Weeber, BMT, House Arrest

Saturday – In the Scooters tent: Nervous Rex, Pash-n-brew, Hap Hazard, The Recliners, and Kings Kiss
In the Choppers tent: The Funnies, Spike, Night People, 1st Impression, Mercury Brothers, the Old 57s
On the Corona Stage: Wes Weeber, Johnny Outlaw, 2nd Wind, BMT.

Thanks to MRMRally for the updated list.
I’ll be there for some of the bands – and most of Saturday. However I’ll be leaving after 1st Impression is finished so I can sing with Lee Blackmon. Which means I’ll be missing out on the final Kings Kiss show…

There are other things going on besides the rally this weekend:

The Hillcrest Event center in Orion has a bit of a weekend music festival-
Friday’s lineup includes: Wild Oatz, Dirt Road Rockers, Slough Boys and Dani Lynn Howe
Saturday’s bands are: Sinners and Saints, Wicked Liz and the Bellyswirls, Meet the Press, Dani Lynn Howe (and headliner – Jimmie Van Zant)

Thursday the Karry Outz are playing on the Bass Street Landing Stage
Friday- Night People and Grazin District are at the New Rusty Nail, Justin Morrissey and Drunken Angels are playing the 11th St. Precinct, and The Muddy Waters has The Mercury Brothers
Saturday – Dirt Road Rockers and Grazin District are playing the Daiquiri Factory, Blues Hounds are at The Muddy Waters, Jim the Mule is playing Bent River Brewery, 11th Street Precinct has Cosmic, and I’ll be joining Lee Blackmon at Bleyarts in the Village.

2 comments:

  1. Very very cool ! Thank you Roberta !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roberta, You keep everyone up to date and that is great. I say, take a thousand from petty cash and get yourself something nice.

    ReplyDelete