Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Little Of This And A Whole Lot Of That

I'm mixing things up these days - Local and regional acts, cover bands and bands with original music... and all sorts of genres.

 

 

It’s been a few weeks since the last time I stepped foot in The Muddy Waters in Bettendorf. I rarely have a free Thursday night for jam nights anymore, and the holidays left me pinched for time as well. So Friday night I made my way down to see the Curtis Hawkins band. I arrived a bit early, while the band was still setting up and running sound checks. This gave me a little time to get my camera set, settle into my seat, and relax a bit.
 
The Curtis Hawkins band jams at Muddy's

 

Curtis Hawkins and his band mates hail from Quad-cities outlying areas, from places like Bishop Hill and Muscatine. Their sound is so well put together you would think they lived in the same house.  I always find their show to be enjoyable, as often it seems like a bit of a blues jam, the pieces blending from one into another to create solid blocks of music.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Nervous Rex keeps it fresh




Keep an eye out for this upcoming talent
 
 
 
 
I also stopped in at the Rusty Nail to see my friends in Nervous Rex. I was happy to see Matt Balzer working sound – it’s great to see him behind a board again! I’m always impressed with the multi-talented Robert Geiger, percussionist Vid James was right on the mark and bassist Jerry Heard was in great form as well. Checking in on Nervous Rex every couple of months has offered me a wonderful opportunity. Each time I get to mark the progress of singer LeAnna. I’m looking forward to seeing what the future holds for her.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Samantha Fish - not to young to sing the blues.
Saturday night I deviated from my “local music” routine and instead went for “local venue, visiting music”. Ok, to be honest, I have done this before, and will continue to check out the occasional visiting artist. Especially when they are a young, up-and-coming firebrand like KC blues artist Samantha Fish. At 22, this girl has that clear voice of a young woman but her music has the soul of a seasoned veteran. Or maybe it is her freshness that electrifies her music. I’m not sure, but it is the perfect mix. At first listen, her voice has a similar quality to that of Quad-City native Danika Holmes. Her blues style that borders on rock is a change from Danika’s country and pop leanings, but I can clearly imagine the two of them performing together.


 

 

Samantha steps off the stage and onto a chair
Samantha and her band have built quite the following in the QC, as is evidenced by the packed house at the Redstone Room Friday night. And I overheard some of the darnedest things Saturday night- one young man declared “That’s it. I’m only dating girls who can play 13 minute guitar solos”. An older gentleman stood next to me and commented as Samantha kicked off her shoes to better access her pedals “The shoes are off – now watch, she’ll really move!” During a bass solo, she set her guitar in a stand and took a drink before she picked up another guitar – a grinning fellow nodded knowingly; “always Red Bull and water” (as she picked up the can of Red Bull, took a sip, and then picked up the glass of water).

The Samantha Fish Band
 

The Samantha Fish band is rounded off with very talented bassist Chris Alexander, and amazing Go-Go Ray on drums. Folks – if you love blues music like I do and you haven’t seen Samantha Fish yet, do yourself a favor and watch for her to come back. This, my friends, is the future of the blues.

 

I wound down from the Redstone show with a final set at Rozz-tox with American Dust. This Indie band out of Dubuque has a song featured on the QC vinyl, “Hello Quad Cities”.  I’ve seen American Dust twice, and both times they were playing with multiple bands at Rozz-tox, so their sets have been very short. But what I have heard so far, I have enjoyed. And I hope to hear more soon. It is wonderful wind-down music.
 
You can find more band photos on my Flickr page HERE

 

This week:

 

Friday – The Busted Chandeliers will be opening for Davina and the Vagabonds in the Redstone Room, RIBCO is hosting the Rob Cimmarusti Benefit show, with Tripmaster Monkey, Einstein’s Sister, The Dawn and 3 Years Hollow. Chuck Murphy is playing at Zero to Sixty, Muddy’s has The Kent Burnside band, Natural Mystic is playing at Brady Street Pub. There’s a three-for at Rozz=tox with Comfort, Haddonfield and Razors and The Rusty Nail has Justin Morrissey.

 

Saturday – There’s a CD Release party for the Kings in the Redstone Room, with Straight UP! opening the show and including Dividing the Masses and Hello Ramona.  Greenbriar has The Gray Wolf Band, Wicked Porcelain is at The Rusty Nail, and you can find Lynn Allen playing at Martini’s. Mulligan’s has North of 40, Crossroads is playing the Hawkeye, and Mercury Brothers are at The Muddy Waters. It looks like reggae night at Rozz-tox with Firesale, Fairhaven, The Fiyah, and TwoPeace.

No comments:

Post a Comment