Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Battle and a Farewell


I took a little unexpected break Saturday night, but did manage to get photos Friday night of a band that’s been on my list… and said goodbye Sunday to a local favorite moving on to new adventures.

Friday night brought the final round of the RIBCO Battle of Bands. The three bands that made the finals were: Shadow Stone, 1380 and My Pal Trigger. I caught 1380 in one of the earlier rounds , had seen a little of Shadow Stone last summer at the motorcycle rally, and heard good things about My Pal Trigger. I suspected this show would be pretty amazing, with all three bands giving it their all.
Shadow Stone put on a great show, but didn't win the battle at RIBCO
Because of other obligations, my goal for the evening was Shadow Stone’s set.  As I mentioned, last summer I caught the tail end of their set at the motorcycle rally. I’ve been waiting since then for an opportunity to see a full set and photograph this very powerful band.  Shadow Stone has an edgy metal sound. The move to debut some new songs during the contest was ballsy, but well received. Their best song of the night was easily “Wake Up”, with very clean breaks and some tight vocals. When a band takes the time to perfect vocals on a song, it really adds gloss to the performance.  With a set like they had, I thought they were going to be tough to beat. I had already seen 1380 and knew they were tough competition.

I learned later in the evening that the one band I had not seen was the winning band. My Pal Trigger is definitely on my to-see list now. Congratulations MPT!

Late Friday night I stopped by Rascals to check out Ochos Locos. I heard William Gustafson was in town and had never had the opportunity to see him play, so here was my chance. I did take into consideration that it would be the end of their final set, and we all know how that goes…

Sure enough, I found Gustafson on the floor, but still playing. In all honesty – it was only part of one song, but it still made for fun photos. 

Curtis Hawkins played with every artist who came to wish him well
Sunday afternoon I took a drive to Galesburg. Now…I understand that I usually fill this blog with information about live music in the QC, and Galesburg is an hour away. But this was a special occasion. There was a going-away party being held at the Fat Fish Pub for Curtis Hawkins. Several QC area musicians were going – and so was I! When I arrived, the first people I saw (besides Curtis and his band, of course) were Kristy Bennett and Hal Reed. Then I ran into Bret Dale of the Candymakers. Also in attendance were the Mississippi Misfits (Tom, Ren and Ziggie).  There were also quite a few musicians not from the QC – most of whom I had never met before. It was a great farewell party, and a jam-and-a-half. Curtis will be missed in the QC. Hopefully he'll come back to visit often!

This week:

Tonight is Jam Night! The Muddy Waters is giving away a guitar tonight too – if you bought a raffle ticket, tonight is the night!  It’s also Jam night at Rascal’s (with the Avey Brothers), The Dam View (with The Candymakers), and The Lucky Frog (with Chuck Murphy). Cedar Rapids friends – check out the Songwriters’ Showcase at Little Bohemia with my friend Kimberli Malloy.

Friday – It’s a busy night at the RME, with The Giving Tree Band in the Redstone Room and Sunset4Ever, Fairhaven, and Dream Anabelle in the Performance Hall. RIBCO has a three-for with Blushing Gun, Fletcher and Elements in the Atmosphere. The Karry Outz are at the 11th Street Precinct, The Avey Brothers are playing The Muddy Waters, and Martini’s has Lynn Allen. The Rusty Nail has The Night People and The Cannon Cox Band, and you’ll find the Hooks at Rascal’s.

Saturday – RIBCO has another three-band show: Ken Mode, Dredge, and My Pal Trigger. The Mississippi Misfits are playing the Brady Street Pub, Dirt Road Rockers are at Rascals and Martini’s has Smooth Groove. 4Play sports bar has Half Naked, North of 40 is playing the Rusty Nail, and Cosmic is at the 11th Street Precinct. Crossroads is playing the Mound Street Landing, Chuck Murphy is at the Doc’s Inn, Purgatory’s has the Wild Oatz and you’ll find the Funktastic 5 at Mulligans.

Sure – go to the big concerts at the iWireless, but don’t forget those big name acts started out as local musicians too. So support your local live music – you never know when you might get to say “I knew them when”!

No comments:

Post a Comment