Thursday, May 23, 2013

Rock in the District and a Story


Remember that break I’ve been talking about taking… for the last 2 months? Well, I set out this weekend to take it. You may have guessed already – that didn’t happen.

I did dial back a little though, so my blog today, though lengthy, is much more focused.  I think I like this. A slower pace allowed me to enjoy more music and visit with folks a little bit. That makes it easier to write the blog and still have time for other things.


Friday night I was sitting on the fence between taking it easy and hitting the Trapt concert at RIBCO. I had pretty much decided to stay in for the night when my daughter sent me a message “but Mom, you HAVE to take pictures of this for your blog!” She was right, you know. My blog has been a little blues-heavy lately (not that I mind that, but I’m sure some of you would like to see a variety). A rock show was in order. Of course by the time I arrived the first band, Shadow Stone, was finished and set up for Eleven Fifty Two was almost complete.

I have reviewed these local bands before, and I like them both. Eleven Fifty Two has been touring outside our immediate region, and has been received well. Shadow Stone recently shot a music video at Rascals Live, and spent a few months in the recording studio. When you have three bands performing in one venue in one night, all it takes is a blink and you’re going to miss something. I felt fortunate to be able to shoot all of Eleven Fifty Two’s short set. They moved quickly from one song to the next in order to cram as much music as they could into their 45 minutes.  I’m sorry that I missed Shadow Stone’s set, and I’ll have to watch for an opportunity to see them again.



Trapt attracted quite a crowd in the District Friday night, and many were long-time fans. Vocalist Chris Taylor Brown commented more than once about how many people knew the words to even their newest songs and were singing along. This high-energy rock band out of California has been around since the mid-1990’s and just released their fifth album. They began this tour with returning drummer Dylan Howard and new guitarist Travis Miguel, and both seemed very much at home. This was my first Trapt concert, and I truly enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the opportunity to photograph a touring band from so many angles. It is unusual to have access from all sides of the stage.
 

Saturday night was spent with The Mississippi Misfits and The Harris Collection. I know everyone has probably heard about these two local blues bands by now, as I’ve spent plenty of time with both.  Both bands introduced new music Saturday night, and are always worth a revisit. Saturday night’s show at Brady Street Pub had a surprise visitor. Not long after I arrived, and while The Harris Collection was still setting up, a little platinum blonde lady with a lot of bling and a great big carpet bag sauntered in. She seemed right at home and soon was chatting happily with the musicians in attendance. “I have my boards along” she said at one point. When the Mississippi Misfits took their turn, she joined in – her boards were custom-made zydeco washboards.  Her name was Washboard Jo, and she stopped off in Davenport for a break from her tour with Guitar Shorty.


Between sets, Jo was chatty and enjoyed showing off and sharing her washboards. She has the boards custom-built for her, but then she goes a step further with gems, trim and fake fur to personalize them. Jo’s striker of choice is a fork. The tines are wrapped in leopard-print vinyl tape for handles, and the handles are what she uses to strike the washboard. She says the striker preferences are diverse, and that many players like to use spoons. Recently I saw a young player with a washboard that was shaped like a necktie. Jo says she’s seen those, but couldn’t imagine playing one. “I’d cut myself up! I play all over the place on my boards.” Jo played all night, with both bands, and everyone had a great time. No matter what they played, she was right there with her board.
 
 
 
 

Jo has been playing the washboard for 11 years, and touring for most of that time. Along with her tour with Guitar Shorty, Jo has also recently been involved in the making of a blues documentary in Kansas City. When asked about where she resides these days, she stated “Everywhere. I go wherever the Blues take me.”

Amen.

 

 

Friday – Chuck Murphy is at Rustic Ridge, Night light is playing Bleyarts, and Brady Street Pub has the Candymakers. Serious Business is at The Muddy Waters, Headquarters has major Malfunktion, and Funktastic Five is playing the Rusty Nail. You’ll find the Brokeass Sellouts opening for Kiss Army at RIBCO, and Joe Louis Walker at The Redstone Room. Machine Gun Willie is playing Gnerations, Justin Morrissey and the Drunken Angels are at the 11th Street Precinct, and Minus Six is at Martini’s on the Rock. Caught in the Act is playing at Rascals.
Saturday – The Night People are at Ducky’s, Greenbriar has Gray Wolf, and Nitrix is playing Martini’s on the Rock. RIBCO has The Travoltas with Just Chords, Craig Erickson is playing at The Muddy Waters, and The River House has Smooth Groove.  Wafflestompers, Fairhaven, Must Build Jacuzzi and The Swifts are playing the Redstone Room. Rozz-tox has Viking Moses, North of 40 is playing the Rusty Nail and Cosmic is at the Mound St. Tap. You’ll find me at Rascals with 1st Impression

No comments:

Post a Comment