Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dominant What?

Musicians:

Jimi Hendrix

Joe Perry

Ringo Starr

Janick Gers

Adam Levine



Artists:

Michelangelo

Leonardo Da Vinci



Writer:

Oscar Wilde



Actors:

Tom Cruise

Mark Hamill

Sarah Jessica Parker

Hugh Jackman

Jim Carrey



Scientists:

Albert Einstein

Ben Franklin

Nikola Tesla

What great company! I have something in common with all these people. It’s known as Cross-Dominance. (And it’s not one bit kinky).



Cross-dominance generally relates to handedness – ambidextrousness is a type of cross-dominance. The ambidextrous person can use the left and right-hands equally well. A cross-dominant person might be left-handed or right-handed, but prefer the opposite hand for certain activities. In my case, I am left-handed, but my right arm is stronger. I use my left hand for activities that require dexterity, but my right for activities that require more strength. I can use my right hand for writing and eating, but am more dexterous using my left hand for those activities.



Cross-dominance also translates to other body areas.  My right eye is my dominant eye. Some cross-dominant people might be right-handed and left-footed.



On the softball diamond, my cross-dominance came in handy. Being a southpaw, I batted left-handed, which sometimes worked to my advantage with pitchers. I threw right-handed for power though, and could make the long throw from far out in center field. Some baseball players use the advantage of cross-dominance to become switch hitters.


I have a cousin who is also cross-dominant, and he enjoys showing that ability off at dinner time. It usually happens when he’s seated to my left (because we’re both left-handed). Someone will make a comment about seating all the lefties together and he will invariably remind us all he is able to use his right hand to eat. And then he proceeds to do so for the entire dinner, bumping elbows with me at every bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment