Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shameless Plug for My Favorite Band?

I wasn’t out and about this past weekend like I have been recently. Family obligations kept me busy all week, including Friday. Saturday night I was in Muscatine with 1st Impression. For those who don’t know me all that well – I’ve known Lyle Harris for 20 years (gosh we’re old!) and Becky Anson since the early days of the band, more than 12 years ago. John Biondo and his awesome wife Tanya have become like family as well. I manage their Facebook page and Tweet their announcements. I’ve shot all the videos on their Youtube channel too. I appreciate so much the trust they’ve put in me to do those things for them, and although I had a pretty good idea how I wanted to do things when I set up their online presence, I’ve learned a bit about band PR in the process. I’ve also honed my videography and photography skills mostly on their gigs. And I’m still learning.


In the past 6 months, the band has had a personnel change. They had so many bookings, so close together they barely had time to break in their new bass player, Phil Bonilla. However, they took a 5 week break between their February gig and this past weekend’s March gig. During that time, they worked on a boatload of new music and built some great rapport. And they roared out of the gate Saturday night. One song in particular, “You and I” caught my ear. Oh…My…Goodness! Becky’s vocals are always great, but I was absolutely floored by the backing vocals – especially since this was the first time out for this new song.  And it was great to hear Phil taking lead on a song as well. Personal connection aside – 1st Impression made some awesome choices for their new set list – and the folks at the Brew in Muscatine had the honor of rocking out to some great new tunes.


Sunday evening brought Sunday Funday at The Muddy Waters. Thanks to some great weather, Lee Blackmon was set up on the patio out back. The patio was full of people having a good time, and Lee was joined by bass player Dave Kamp. Jackie Madunic and I got up and sang a few songs with Lee. And one of these days, maybe we’ll get Kristy Bennett to join in?

This Friday looks like another great night for local live music. There are so many venues booked it will be difficult to choose! Danika Holmes is sharing the Redstone Room stage with the Dani Lynn Howe band, Cosmic can be seen at the
11th Street
Precinct, and Secret Squirrel will be playing Fargo. Simon Says Uncle will be rockin’ the Rusty Nail, the Rootless Experience is playing Brady Street Pub in downtown Davenport, and Funktastic Five fans can find them at ThePub on
north Brady Street
.

Saturday night, Danika Holmes has an early start at 8 PM at the Grape Life, and Justin Morrissey is playing
11th Street
Precinct. I definitely plan to make a stop at The Muddy Waters for the Avey Brothers.

It doesn’t matter where you plan to go – just get out there and enjoy the sizzle of Quad Cities Live Music!

No comments:

Post a Comment