Thursday, April 19, 2012

Impulsive? Me?

My mother has been telling me for years that I’m too impulsive. This weekend I proved her right, and did some things so unexpected, so random I didn’t even have time to tell people I was doing them! But let’s start with Thursday’s Johnny O Jam, shall we?


Thursday night I stopped by The Muddy Waters in Bettendorf for John O’Meara’s jam session (as I often do). The usual suspects were around, along with Randall Ketelsen and Vid Genac. As I’ve said before, open jams interest me because you never know who might turn up and what it’s going to sound like. It was another great night at Muddy’s.

Johnny O Jam sessions bring out a mix of great musicians

Friday brought my first spontaneous visit of the weekend. A friend was working a political fundraiser (and baking goodies all day for said fundraiser). I decided to stop by and offer my support, even though I’m not a constituent. Met some neato-peato folks… but never did get any of the delicious baked goods. Great for my waistline! (And I believe they sold out anyway). 

I headed for the Village of East Davenport after that – and checked out the Karry Outz at 11th Street Precinct. John O’Meara (of the Johnny O Jams) plays bass for this band, and I had been meaning to check them out. It looked like everyone at the Precinct was having a good time, and they had a few dancers too.

The Karry Outz provided good dancing at the Precinct

I stayed for a set and a half at the Precinct then wandered down the street for some acoustic tunes with Justin Morrissey. Justin was flying solo at Bleyart’s. It’s pretty cool to end your night kicked back listening to some mellow acoustic music, and Justin has a great voice to boot. Of course, Bleyart’s was packed Friday night, and with no place to sit, I only stayed for a couple of songs. But they were good songs…

Justin Morrissey chillin' out acoustically

Saturday became the day of spontaneity. My Skynny Skynyrd sister, Jackie Madunic was writing a play for Sudden Theater at the Village Theater in Davenport. And another friend was participating in one of the plays. My intention was to go that evening and watch the play before heading to Bettendorf to see Wicked Nature. At 11 AM I saw that Jackie had been looking for more actors for her play, and I messaged her (thinking, “gosh I hope she got someone, I really want to see that play”).  Her response was that she still needed someone. Oops… well… um… Oh what the heck! So, instead of seeing the play, I participated. It was a great time, and I would do it again. Now THAT was spontaneous!!

After a quick stop at the Precinct and a change of clothes (the things I wore on stage were drenched), I was off to Purgatory’s to see my Wicked Nature friends. I arrived during the hailstorm and had to wait it out in my truck – and managed to drench another change of clothes. Wicked Nature sounded great, with new-to-them drummer Vid Genac. I was glad to see Schon in good health. Good to see the guys back at it, and rockin the bar.

Mitch Bergeson and Vid Genac rockin' with Wicked Nature
I visited with Matt Orwitz and Ray Polanchek (of Skynny and House Arrest) while I was at Purgatory’s. Ray’s new project is getting ready to take off – watch for Evolution! And thanks Matt, for giving me a little insight and a new perspective on the bands I review.

My last stab at spontaneity happened Sunday afternoon, when a rainstorm ended a softball game I was attending. Knowing there was a jam session happening at a place I had NEVER been to, I hopped in my truck and headed to Moline. Don Stewart was hosting a jam session at the Bent River Brewery. Those beers are HUGE!! Holy cow! I enjoyed a Raspberry Wheat while I grooved to the tunes. And true to open jams, this one was full of really great musicians, including most of The Harris Collection. What a great time and awesome Blues!

Today is Thursday – it’s Johnny O Jam night at Muddy’s. Stop by, you never know who might turn out… we’ve already established that!

Friday night the whole QC will be jumpin! Cosmic is playing at the 11th Street Precinct; The Dirt Road Rockers will be rockin ThePub, Davenport; The Harris Collection, The Movers and Shakers, and Reggae band 2Peace will be doing the 4/20 groove thing at the Brady Street Pub in downtown Davenport; and I’ll be joining Lee Blackmon at Bleyart’s for some acoustic fun. (Yes, I’ll be singing)

Saturday night Caught In the Act is playing Mound Street (I heard a rumor they have a new drummer?). The Blues Hounds are playing Muddy Waters. Evolution has their opening gig with Ray Polanchek at Purgatory’s Pub. I’m hoping to get by there, but I have previous commitments.

In any case folks – remember to support Local Live Music – get out there and see a band this week! They all appreciate people who come out to see them. And the music scene in the QC is sizzling hot!
If you would like to see more photos of the bands discussed here, check out my Flickr Page

2 comments:

  1. Update: After I posted this blog, a couple more gigs came to my attention - Wicked Nature is at Racer's Edge Saturday night, and David G. Smith is playing at 11th Street tonight starting at 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Don Stewart playing harmonica with Johnny-O in the first picture. Thanks. We met at the jam at Bent River.

    ReplyDelete