Thursday, April 26, 2012

Suprises At Every Turn - Local Live Music


I expected not to have much to talk about this week, as my weekend was pretty well tied up. But things really did pop! And it all started with a jam at my favorite haunt…The Muddy Waters…



Jam Night at The Muddy Waters


Thursday night (as my readers all know by now) is the Johnny O Jam at The Muddy Waters. I’ve seen some really cool musicians there, and every week it has been a different experience. This week’s jam took a turn I didn’t see coming, but it was a wonderful turn. When I pulled up and parked, I saw swarms (yes swarms!) of people entering the bar… and there was very little parking available. I already knew something very different was taking place. I walked in, and John O’Meara was buzzing around the crowded bar like a happy honey bee with sole possession of a very large field of clover. There were so many musicians that he had to bring out a sign-up sheet to make sure everyone was allowed play time.



I’m sure some of the bands that played were getting warmed up for Sunday’s Iowa Blues Challenge… which I wasn’t able to attend. The jams were great Thursday night. I didn’t want to leave and stayed past my bedtime. I got some great shots and video while I was there.  You can see a sampler of Thursday’s jam sessions on my Youtube channel. It was just too good not to share!



Friday night I spent the entire evening at Bleyart’s in the Village of East Davenport. Lee Blackmon was scheduled to play from 8PM til Midnight. Dave Kamp and Steve Steiner showed up and played the entire night with Lee. I found myself singing a few songs I’d never sung before (always a FUN exercise) and Steve’s girlfriend Carmen even joined in for a couple of songs. The Lee Blackmon (and friends) show was such a hit, we ended up playing until 1 AM. It was a great time. We had a cameo appearance from special guest harmonica player Detroit Larry Davidson. It was a great time!



I was in the Village Sunday afternoon for a softball game, and stopped in at the 11th Street Precinct for a quick bite after the game. I was surprised to find a very good band playing there. I had never seen them before, and during their break I learned they are mostly local, but don’t play out much except for benefits. That day there was an American Cancer Society benefit being held in the bar. The name of the band was Borrowed Time. I didn’t get video or any decent shots of them, but be sure to keep an eye out for them. They had a great blues sound!



So what’s coming up this weekend? Tonight there’s another Johnny O Jam at the Muddy Waters – each week these things get better, so head down there and see something you haven’t seen before.



Friday night – Lee Blackmon is playing at Cool Beanz. This is an early evening show, starting at 6:30. Enjoy some dinner, or a glass of wine or a craft beer… and Lee’s show, all before you hit the party scene!



 Wicked Nature is playing at Rascals in Moline – this JUST IN: Friday will be Vid Genac’s last gig with the band. He says he might sing some rush Friday night…



Smooth Groove is playing at Martinis on the Rock, you can find Funktastic 5 at thePub  and Lynn Allen will be at the Rusty Nail both nights.



Saturday night, Evolution will be playing on the Racer’s Edge Stage.



As usual, more photos can be found on my Flickr page, and videos on my YouTube channel.  Head out this weekend and enjoy Local Live Music!

No comments:

Post a Comment