Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Local Record Release and More Live Music


I slowed down again this week. Instead of running around like a mad woman, I took my time and enjoyed just a handful of shows. Yes folks – I’m slowing down. I’m going for quality over quantity. This means I won’t see as many of you each week, and I won’t see individual bands as often, but I’ll spend a little more time with the bands I do go to see. And I’m going to try harder to catch acts I haven’t seen before. 

Thursday night I attempted to catch a band at Rozz-Tox, but when I arrived at 8:00 (the advertised start time), I was informed one band had just arrived and was setting up, so they probably wouldn’t be starting until 9 PM.  That put a big hole in my plans, as I was headed for jam night at The Muddy Waters at 9 PM. I stuck around for an hour, just in case the band started early, but no dice.  


 

John O’Meara’s jam night did not disappoint at all – this week we were graced by a couple of new faces, including a trumpet player who sat in with a couple different groups.  Also in attendance: Don Stewart, Young Skoy (Shon) Harris, Johnny Pena, Ron LaPuma, Retro Ron and a whole lot more!



Friday night I headed back to Rozz-Tox for the Hello Quad- Cities album party. I cleared my schedule Friday and stuck with the bands at Rozz-Tox until around 11 PM. 3 hours in one place, that’s a record! Seriously though – I really enjoyed most of the music. The night started out with Konrad. They used some pre-recorded music and sound clips, but played guitar, bass and trombone live. Next up was American Dust. This acoustic duet has a folk sound. They brought Erin Waterman from the Busted Chandeliers to the microphone for a song and her voice worked well with their music. 

Artist Bob Burns was not only the display artist this month at Rozz-Tox, but he was also the creative mind behind the video running during all of the bands’ performances. I normally tune out the videos at Rozz-Tox while I’m watching bands, but knowing the video was made particularly for the event caused me to want to watch it as well as the bands. It was a little distracting, but definitely a work of art. Burns was also the next act in line as Centaur Noir. He put on a one-man show, with much of his music pre-recorded, though he played acoustic guitar and sang live.
 
Break Up Art overflowed Rozz-Tox with their rich sound

Breakup Art’s sheer numbers contrasted with the singular appearance of Centaur Noir. The full performing band overflowed the small stage at Rozz-Tox. With three guitars, drums, bass, saxophone and multiple vocals, this band not only filled the stage, but the entire room with their rich sound.  I really enjoyed their set and look forward to hearing more from them in the future.

The Blackstones put on a solid show at The Muddy Waters
Saturday night I managed to swing through Bettendorf, with a stop at The Muddy Waters to see The Blackstones.  This was my second time to see this band, and I felt this was a better location. Not only was it better for photos, but their sound as well. (Kudos to Tom Zick for his sound work Saturday night).

 


Laurie Pash and Tom Tally of Pash N Brew
I stayed for just a little more than a set at Muddy’s and then took a swing by Purgatory’s Pub. Pash N Brew (pronounced “passion brew”), a band out of Thompson, IL, was playing there. Pash N Brew was also getting a second look from me, as I had caught a glimpse of them at the Mississippi River Motorcycle Rally and decided I wanted a closer look. I’m really glad I came around for the second time. Fronting the band is Laurie Pash, a little bitty spitfire thing with a huge voice and a ton of energy. She really does have a “Pash-n” for her music! Tom Talley II plays some great guitar (and keyboard), and his son Tommy III is a rockin’ drummer. They won’t be back in the QC until a December 29th gig at the Hawkeye, but this band is worth the wait.  

You can see these photos and more from this week on my Flickr page.






 
This week:

This is the Final Friday Live at 5 presentation at the RME for this season. The Busted Chandeliers will be opening for Ellis Kell. If you can get there at 5 to see the Chandeliers, you won’t be disappointed!  The Candymakers have an outdoor show starting at 8 at Schwiebert Park, Manny Lopez is bringing the big band sound to the Speakeasy. Muddy’s has the Mercury Brothers, Grazin District is at the Rusty Nail, Corporate Rock is playing the 11th Street Precinct, and you can find Jim the Mule at Martinis on the Rock.

Saturday: There’s a bags tournament going on at Schwiebert park all afternoon, with multiple bands including: Keep Off the Grass, the Mississippi Misfits, 2Peace, the Harris Collection, and others..
Lee Blackmon is at the Creekside Vineyard at 2 PM– those Saturday shows at the vineyard are just about through for the season, so head out there to taste some wine and catch some tunes.

2Peace and Sunflower Slim will be playing at the Studio Pub, Third Rail is at Mulligans in Coal Valley. North of 40 can be found at the Greenbriar, The Rusty Nail has Caught in the Act, the 44s are playing the Muddy Waters. Just Chords is playing at DaVincis, Identity Crisis is outside at the River House, Justin Morrissey and the Drunken Angels can be found at Martinis, and Purgatory’s Pub has Vodkaseven.
 
The outdoor show season is just about done – so get to the outdoor venues while you can! And don’t forget there’s a whole list of jam nights. You can find live music somewhere in the QC nearly every night of the week. 

The RME, RIBCO and Rozz-tox provide us with local and visiting acts off and on throughout the week, so check their schedules as well! And remember – Support Live Music!

No comments:

Post a Comment