Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Live Music Labor Day Weekend


"...and if you know someone who doesn't like music, don't trust them" - Sunflower Slim
 
Thursday I deviated a bit from the normal routine and started my evening out at Rozz-Tox for a taste of their all-original Rozz-Vox open mic night. I didn’t get to enjoy much of it, as it started later than the advertised scheduled starting time, and I had other stops to make this night. Host Donnie Bobb played a couple of songs, then Retro Ron stepped up for his turn.  I’ve never heard any of Ron’s original music. It was a nice break from the Beatles covers. Hopefully next time I'll catch a couple more musicians. 



The Low Down Opened at The Establishment
But then I was off again – The Low Down was opening a show at the Establishment Theater for The Candymakers. I had not been inside the Establishment since it was a movie theater decades ago, so I was looking forward to checking it out. Plus, I really did want to get another opportunity to photograph the Low Down. I first saw these guys at River Roots Live and though I enjoyed their instrumental sound very much, I didn’t feel like I had done them justice in my photos. And I was hoping the stage and lighting at the Establishment would provide a new (and better) environment for photos of both bands.
 
 
 
 

The Candymakers put on another great show
Technically, the Low Down is half-comprised of members of The Candymakers, so a dual show seemed fitting. Both bands put on a great show, and I ran into a few people I knew, including Tom Zick and Young Skoy (Harris). 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I had to drag myself away to move on to other things, but I couldn’t let a Thursday night go by without a stop at The Muddy Waters for Jam night. By the time I got to Muddy’s, the jam was starting to wind down. John O’Meara was happy to have had a good turnout, especially since the previous Thursday Muddy’s had a band instead of the jam.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Friday night brought the Friday Live at Five concert at the RME. The outdoor concert season is nearly over, with just a couple of Fridays remaining. This week’s band was Jim the Mule. They play a variety of covers, and I found them to be entertaining.

Being the last Friday of the month, it was Final Friday Open House night at the Bucktown. I’ve managed to make every Final Friday celebration this summer. This was their “Dog Days” celebration, and along with the art collections, snacks and beverages, they had added live music in the form of Retro Ron.

I finished up a whirlwind tour of the Bucktown and headed across the river to Schwiebert Park. A band was going to be playing there that I had not heard before. It was a beautiful evening, and the park was filling up fast. After the sun set, the sprinkler park was lit with colored lights, making for an enjoyable light show during the concert. The band was Crazy Bad (their name, really), and they played a variety of covers, with a definite lean toward funk and disco.

I ended my musical journey with a stop at Davinci’s and a short visit with Chuck Murphy. Chuck’s style is evolving, and he puts a lot of energy into his acoustic show. Friday night was the start of a 5-gig weekend for Chuck, and I wondered out loud at what his voice and energy level would be by Sunday evening. Chuck seemed confident he would hold up well.

This week

Friday – The Candymakers open the weekend with Friday Live at 5 on the RME plaza.  Cosmic is playing at 11th Street Precinct, No Excuse is at Puragatory’s, The Muddy Waters has Debbie Davies. Squids Beard and Texas Fire Juice are opening for the Ben Miller Band at RME in The Redstone Room. There’s a 3-for at RIBCO, with Pop Evil, Traci Guns League of Gentlemen, and 3 Years Hollow. The Dirt Road Rockers can be found at Rascals and The Funnies at Martinis. Danika Holmes is playing a benefit at the Clubhouse, Grazin District booked a last minute gig at Parkside Pub in Moline, and 2Peace is laying down a groove at Mound Street Landing.

The Hello Quad-Cities listening party/CD Release in two parts: Rozz-Tox Friday night – Chrash, Breakup Art, Centaur Noir, American Duet, and Konrad. RIBCO Saturday night – Healing Power, New Beautiful, Seth Knappen, Tanbourine and Multiple Cat.

Saturday – Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band will be rocking the Rusty Nail, The Blackstones are at The Muddy Waters, and Pash N Brew are partying at Purgatory’s (not to be seen in the QC again before December). Rootless Experience is at the Studio, Wild Oats are playing Mulligans, and Smooth Groove can be found at Martinis.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment