Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Mixed Bag of QC Live Music


A mid-week show with a new face, an opportunity to exercise my voice, musicians playing for tips in the cold, grunge rock and a rockin’ blues show. It was quite a week!



The Curtis Hawkins Band has a new bassist
I took a little time mid-week to check out the new Curtis Hawkins band lineup at The Rusty Nail. New bassist Andrea has stepped in and fits very comfortably with Manny, Ian and Jesse.  I’ll be looking forward to catching them out again soon.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Friday night I spent a little time with Lee Blackmon, singing at the beautiful Rustic Ridge pub. Lee had some new songs to demo for me – I’m looking forward to putting together some harmonies for the next time. After I left Rustic Ridge, I headed for RIBCO in Rock Island, where a couple of local bands that I had not yet seen were playing.  Unfortunately, I missed the first band of the evening – they were just finishing their set as I arrived. Next up was As Big as a Mouse, which I had heard of but had not yet seen.
 


As Big As A Mouse
As Big as a Mouse has a grunge rock sound, and produce a good amount of energy on stage. Their set was solid and though mesmerized by the light show, I did allow myself the luxury of enjoying the music as well. I believe I heard that the light show that night was being provided by Gentle Edward records for all three bands. It was pretty dramatic, but created some interesting effects for my photos.
 
 
 

The Last Glimpse
Next up was The Last Glimpse. I’ve seen this group before and I really do like their alt-rock sound. Their music is full of emotion, and really sticks with you. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Playin' for Dough
Upon leaving RIBCO, we saw these young men playing for tips on the plaza. It was a bit chilly to be doing so, but there they were.  Anybody know them?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Ren Edstrand - Mississippi Misfits
Saturday night was spent at the RME, as The Mississippi Misfits were opening for Eric Sardinas in the Redstone Room. *Objectivity Disclaimer*  If you haven’t already figured it out, after writing the spotlight blog about the Mississippi Misfits a while back, I decided to start working for them in a similar fashion to the way I work for 1st Impression.  So anything I say about the Misfits in future blogs is NOT a review. *End Objectivity Disclaimer*
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

If you haven’t seen Eric Sardinas perform – it is time you did! He’s played the Quad-Cities a few times, and puts on a heart-stopping show. Sardinas’ guitars are old and well broken-in, and I would imagine quite comfortable. One moment he coaxes a soft cry out of his guitar, and the next he’s whaling away on it in a boot-stomping fury. Sardinas very obviously plays to the audience, and the audience loved every minute of it. Why he isn’t more well-known in the US… well… he’s not playing pop music, that’s for sure!  I can honestly say that about quite a few great performances I’ve seen lately.
 
 
 
 
 
 

<soapbox> The public is being led by their nose-rings to likes of American Idol…and really great, inspiring music is being left by the wayside. Thank goodness there are still people around who appreciate the good stuff. </soapbox>

This week in the QC Area:

Tonight – The Muddy Waters has the John O’Meara Jam, The Avey Brothers are hosting a Jam at Rascals, and members of the Candymakers have a Jam at the Dam View. Rozz-tox is hosing Quasar Wut Wut with Tambourine and Break Up Art.

Friday – Justin Morrissey and the Drunken Angels are playing at the Rusty Nail, The Night People are at Headquarters, and Rustic Ridge has Chuck Murphy. There’s a CD Release party for Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band at the Redstone Room, with the Candymakers. Blueport Junction has Unknown Component, Propaganda is at Fargo, and QCSlim is at Brady Street Pub. RIBCO has Eric Lambert (of the Henhouse Prowlers).

Saturday – You’ll find the Rootless Experience on the Community Stage in the RME CafĂ© for an early show, and Tim Stop with MER in the Redstone Room. RIBCO has Eleven Fifty-Two and Heavyweight, while Crossroads is at the Greenbriar and North of 40 is playing Mulligans. Vodkaseven will rock the Hawkeye, and Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band will be traveling to Hooks in Clinton. Chuck Murphy is playing at The Docs Inn, Mommy’s Little Monster is at the Mound St Landing, and Barrelhouse 211 has Rude Punch.  Flash Point is playing the Cooler.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment