Thursday, April 4, 2013

Live Music - Local and Otherwise


I had an extremely busy week – which now is leading to a very LONG blog post. Please stick with me to the end though, as there were a lot of good things going on in the QC last week – and more good things going on this week that you should know about!

Pay Close Attention to Nathaniel Rateliff
On Tuesday last week I made a rare work-evening appearance at Rozz-tox in Rock Island.  When Nathaniel Rateliff was last in the area, I missed his appearance, and since I had heard many good things about him, I decided I wanted to take the time to see him. Rateliff’s music is a folk style, and with his interesting lyrics, I found it imperative to listen closely so as to not miss anything. This is not an artist to be relegated to background music.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A Mellow Break-Up Art at Rozz-Tox
Thursday evening I was back at Rozz-Tox for a little Break Up Art. Donnie and the guys were back… but with a toned-down set in comparison to what I witnessed a few months back at the RME. I really enjoyed the mellower set though – as much as I liked the high-energy set from my previous Break Up Art experience. This talented group has a diverse selection of music at their fingertips.
 
 
 
 

Toes were Tapping to Eric Lambert at RIBCO
Eric Lambert put on an acoustic bluegrass show with his trio at RIBCO Friday night. As I stood in the balcony for some photos, I couldn’t help but dance a bit to the lively music. There was not a big crowd at RIBCO for this show, but a handful of people who were very appreciative of the musical treat. Like Rateliff earlier in the week, Lambert’s lyrics were fun and required the attention of the listener.  I would recommend this show to anyone who is looking for a fun evening. Hopefully the low turn-out at RIBCO that night won’t keep him away from the QC, and we’ll get another opportunity to see him play.

Whole Damn CD Release
And then there was the Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band CD Release Party. I arrived at the River Music Experience in between sets, to find the Redstone Room packed to the rafters. If you were at any other venue in the QC and wondered where everyone was… well… they were at this party.  And they were all excited to be there as well! Most of the songs I heard were from the CD – so I bought one and took it home to listen to them again. There were special guests in the second set, including Dustin Cobb, Bret Dale and Nick Vasquez.  I took a few photos, enjoyed the music, and even sang along to a few. I’ve now heard Yazoo River each time I’ve seen Jason play, and nearly have it memorized. I hear it’s one of his more popular songs.  If you haven’t seen Jason Carl – I highly recommend both the band experience and the solo experience. (See below).  The rock/folk mix of music is well-written and energetically presented.

Saturday night I decided to just wander where my car took me, and this was the result:

Rootless Experience
The Rootless Experience has had a recent change in personnel, so when band leader Alex Slack sent me the invite to their latest show, I thought it might be a good idea to stop in at the RME Café Saturday evening and see just what was cooking.  Singer Cecali has a great voice – and when she opens up it can fill a room. And it’s obvious that Alex has put in a great deal of guitar work. The surprise of the evening was the keyboard player who looked like a college professor but also sang a little Skynyrd. What a diverse group! I’ll be keeping an eye on this bunch.

Never a Dull Moment with Chuck Murphy
 I took my leave of the RME and wandered all the way to Silvis, where I found Chuck Murphy entertaining the folks at The Doc’s Inn. I had a craving for gyros, and the Doc’s has delicious chicken gyros for this red-meat avoider.Wait…what were we talking about? Oh yeah… Chuck.  Chuck says he was celebrating one year of doing the acoustic thing… but I swear I saw him for the first time at least a year and a half-ago.  Anyway – over the last year I’ve watched Chuck evolve as a musician. Not only is he very good musically, he’s very entertaining as well. Congrats on a great year Chuck – and on ditching the unnecessary furniture too.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Unusual was only one way to describe Railyard Ghosts
Sometimes you don’t know what you’re in for when you step into Rozz-tox. I think I’ve expressed that before.  Some days, the acts I go to see are exactly what I expect them to be, and other days, well… let’s just say it can be an adventure. This week’s adventure came to us courtesy of Railyard Ghosts  I knew this was no ordinary band when I watched them unpack their instruments. There was an autoharp (remember those from grade school?) and a washboard shaped like a necktie… a set of spoons…an accordion… a fiddle… guitar, banjo, saw (and bow), a parking cone and a stick/string/bucket bass combination. The only thing they were missing was the jug! With a unique sound and total abandonment, this rather large group of young people tore through their songs.

Life in Cycle Rocked RIBCO
Since RIBCO is practically down the street from Rozz-tox, it seemed like the ideal place to finish out my night. Eleven Fifty-two was headlining a 3 band night, and though I arrived too late to catch the first band of the night, the second band was running full throttle when I walked through the door. Life In Cycle is a metal band out of Peoria. Saturday night was their Quad-cities debut at RIBCO. I’m using the broader term metal because honestly, I wasn’t sure how to classify them.  The lines between metal, hardcore and metalcore are at best murky… and they seemed to cross those lines fairly often. I haven’t had the chance to ask them what they consider their genre to be, but hopefully we’ll see them in the QC again soon – and you all can see for yourselves. I know I'm looking forward to another opportunity to see them.
 
 
 
 

Eleven Fifty-two
My reason for going to RIBCO was the headliner. Eleven Fifty-two has been on my radar for a while but I just haven’t been at the right place at the right time to catch them. So Saturday night was my first Eleven Fifty-two show.  I’m sure a whole bunch of people just went “huh?”  Well, now I’ve seen them. This talented bunch put on a great show and it is apparent they have a good following. They are definitely worthy of all the good things I've heard about them. I hope to catch them again soon so I can give them another listen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sunday night I took another rare outing and headed for The Muddy Waters. Jason Carl was playing an acoustic set there, and I knew he was looking for a solo video for the 97xposure contest. Here is Jason’s video fromSunday.

This week:

Friday – The Community Stage at the RME hosts David G. Smith at 6 and Robert Jon & the Wreck at 8:30. This Must Be The Band is playing the Redstone Room, while Limbs with Radcon & Bulk will be in the Performance Hall. RIBCO has The Brat Pack, while the Mississippi Misfits are playing at The Muddy Waters. Flash Point is at The Rusty Nail, North of 40 is playing Purgatory’s and Martini’s on the Rock has Tangent. Cosmic is at The 11th Street Precinct, The Candymakers are playing at Barrelhouse 211, and Bleyarts has Willis & Wilcox. Chuck Murphy is playing the Tavern on the Square, The Dirt Road Rockers are at Hero’s Pub and Rustic Ridge is hosting Night Light.

Saturday – Keep Off The Grass is playing at Bleyarts, The Mound Street Landing has Corporate Rock, and you’ll find Crossroads at Purgatory’s. Jim the Mule is playing at Mulligans, the Karry Outz are at The Muddy Waters, and The Office in Sherrard is hosting Nervous Rex. Rozz-tox his hosting Road Kill Ghost Choir, while Wayne “The Train” Hancock with Patrick Sweany is at RIBCO.

Don’t have weekends off? Really want to check out some live music on the night off you do have? There are jam nights and open mics nearly every night of the week now, featuring some of the best musicians the QC has to offer… and some venues are starting to feature live music on weeknights as well. So… get out there and enjoy what the QC has in store for you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment