Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To All My Texting Friends


Here’s a new twist on the issue of texting and driving: A young woman is being sued by accident victims because she sent the text a young man was reading when he caused a horrific accident.



 

The lawyer for the plaintiffs says the woman had to know that the recipient of her message was driving home from work when she sent the message, so she had knowledge that her text could possibly distract him.

Although I believe this lawsuit will be tossed, it still bears consideration. If I send you a text and you just happen to be driving… am I responsible if you wreck while reading my message?



My personal philosophy on texting


When I send someone a text message, it’s because I don’t know what they are doing at the time and don’t want to interrupt with a ringing phone. By sending them a text, I’m saying, “hey, I want you to know this, or I have this question, but it’s nothing urgent. Get back to me when you can.”

If it’s urgent, I’ll call… believe me!

And just so you all know… When you send me a text, if you don’t hear back from me immediately, it’s because I view your text in the same way I view the texts that I send. Some things (like keeping my eyes on the road) are just more important than reading a text message. However… I will eventually read that message and get back to you.

What’s your philosophy about text messaging?

No comments:

Post a Comment