Thursday, May 17, 2012

You Never Know WHO Might Show...


As has pretty much become customary, I started out my weekend on Thursday night at The Muddy Waters for Johnny O’s Jam. I no more than walked in the door and I ran into Lee Blackmon. Literally – I think I turned a corner and walked into him!  I took Lee up on an offer to sit at his table, as the room was already beginning to fill. It looked to be another good jam night. A few minutes later, Retro Ron made an appearance. There were also a few faces I didn’t recognize.







John O’Meara was on the stage with some of the regulars, including Perry Hultgren and Ron LaPuma






Retro Ron took his turn, and while he played, the house band gradually joined in. About that time, the stage door opened and members of local blues band “Serious Business” began loading in equipment.





After Retro Ron left the stage, we were treated to a little rock and roll accordion.












Lee Blackmon set aside his usual acoustic guitar to jam electrically, and someone I recognized as one of the singers from Rootless Experience stepped up to sing along on one song. Lee had promised me one song – and he saved it until last. So this week I finally sang with the jam at The Muddy Waters. 












After Lee finished up, Serious Business set up and played a set. I hung out for a couple of songs, but I was already way past my deadline (a girl has to work…) so couldn’t stay for their whole set, or any of the musicians who followed them. All in all, it was a great night at Muddy’s.





Friday night brought a visit to Purgatory’s Pub to try to get a few more photos of Evolution. Remember Evolution? Purgatory’s is a small bar (and I’ll admit I sometimes think 1st Impression is too powerful for that venue), so imagine the already rambunctious Evolution in Purgatory’s small room. I must be getting old…





My main interest for Friday night was a two-man operation called Two Peace. A friend does their booking and I thought I might get some decent photos for them. Two Peace was playing Brady Street Pub Friday night. Their music is reggae – with an electronic twist. Because there are just two of them, they need a little help to create a full band sound. They use bass and keys, but then have a drum machine and pre-recorded instrument loops. As much as I don’t usually care for automation in performances, I have to say I enjoyed their music. And the crowd that gathered around the front of the bar didn’t care at all that part of the music came from a machine. They were just grooving to the sound.

My recommendation to any band playing at Brady Street Pub – get your hands on a small light bar to illuminate yourselves. Though people are there to listen to music, the lack of a specific stage and lighting, and the proximity of the bar to the band area make it difficult to differentiate a band from the crowd gathered around them.

Going back to Thursday’s jam for just a moment, I teased Lee Blackmon that I was going to start campaigning to get him into Muddy’s for more Sunday Funday shows. I didn’t even get a chance to start my campaign. Kristy contacted him Friday, they were looking for a fill-in this week. So Sunday evening I was at The Muddy Waters again for Sunday Funday on the patio to sing along with Lee.

You can stop by The Muddy Waters tonight for the Johnny O Jam. I think we’ve established that you never know who might be there. Also, Danika Holmes is playing at Barrelhouse 211 tonight.

Friday night, Jared Blake is at Rascals, and QC native drummer Daniel Rangel will be along. Danika Holmes will be playing at ReFresh in Moline, Low Down is playing Brady Street Pub. The Muddy Waters is hosting The Chris Avey Band.

Saturday night, I’ll be in Muscatine with 1st Impression, but if you can't make the drive to Muscatine, there is plenty of live music to support right here in the QC. Evolution and The Pimps will be playing at Rascals, Steve McFate is hosting an acoustic jam session at Tim’s Corner Tap in Rock Island, and 3 Years Hollow and 1152 will be at Rascals.

Get out this week and check out a live show!

No comments:

Post a Comment