Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cool Blues on a Warm Night – live music in the QC



Hot is a relative term. I love warm summer nights – and I love cool blues. That is a good part of why I really enjoyed Blues Fest a couple of weeks ago.  But in the Quad-Cities, it isn’t necessary to limit your blues listening to one weekend a year.  Every Thursday night there’s a blues jam at The Muddy Waters.  Yes, sometimes musicians who don’t play blues get up and play too, but the majority of the Thursday night Johnny O. Jam is blues.  And the Muddy Waters provides us with blues entertainers on other nights too.  This week I checked out the Friday night show… more on that later.




I’ve touted the Thursday night jams in most of my music posts. Last Thursday I had ample opportunity to photograph some awesome musicians. And there were a few times when the music was so moving I forgot I had a camera in my hands. There were too many great musicians to post them all here, so go check out my Flickr page to see what came out of Thursday’s jam.



Just for the sake of fairness – I need to state that there are other jams and open mic nights all week long. The Avey brothers host a jam on Thursdays at Rascals, the J Spot hosts an open mic on Thursdays at the Creekside. Rozz-Tox has entered the open mic arena on Thursdays as well. The Harris Collection hosts an open mic on Tuesdays at Brady St. Pub. There’s an open mic at the RME and one at Boozies on Wednesday nights. On Saturday nights, downtown Central Perk has an open mic night. In other words, live music can be found somewhere any night of the week in the QC.




Friday night I got lost. At least for a little while. I think my crazy day just caught up with me, and I forgot everything I had planned to do Friday night – and just wandered for a while. I ended up in Silvis (which happens to be the farthest I’ve gone for a show that didn’t include 1st Impression or Skynny Skynyrd). Dirt Road Rockers and an acoustic artist named Tim Stop were playing an outdoor party at The Docs Inn.  As I pulled into the lot, a light rain was falling, and I worried that I had driven out there for nothing… but the bands were set up in a tent and the rain didn’t last long. I’ve never seen Tim before, but found his music likeable and refreshing. I missed most of his show, but plan to catch him elsewhere in the near future. 


 


Once again, the Dirt Road Rockers put on an enjoyable show – and brought along the family. I had other stops to make so only stayed for a little while, but caught Pauly D’s daughter in a duet with singer Wyatt. That little girl is going to go solo one of these days guys… and you’ll all be able to say, “I knew her when”.






By the way – I highly recommend the chicken gyros at the Docs Inn. 


I left Silvis and drove back to the Iowa side. There was a blues show I wanted to check out at Muddy’s.  It was another night of being mesmerized by the music. Kent Burnside and the New Generation played amazing long jams that never seemed to end. And I wasn’t the only one caught up in the music. I saw several Thursday night regulars there.  The air was electric – you could tell most everyone was moved by the sound as it enveloped them and (in some cases) lifted them right out of their seats. Oh yes... that is an electric fiddle you see in the photo.




Saturday night I took it easy. I spent my evening singing with Lee Blackmon at the Grape Life and taking a few photos. Special thanks to Nancy for her kind words there – I appreciate that you appreciate me!


Lee ended the night with a boisterous singalong


This Week In Live Music

This week, head out to an open mic or jam night – find several listed above.

There is a country music festival down at Centennial Park this weekend. Along with some big names, you’ll find local acts: Danika Holmes, Dani Lynn Howe Band, Dirt Road Rockers and Grazin District represented at the Heartland Jam.

At Racer’s Edge in East Moline, there’s a 2-day benefit concert taking place. Bands there will include Bent, 4th and 20, and 1st Impression.  Former 1st Impression members Bernie Davison and Scotty Reeves will be joining the band for the second set Saturday night.

Thursday night: Danika Holmes is playing at ReFresh Lounge in Moline.

Friday night  

Are you ready for a long list? Here goes:
Friday Live @ 5 in the RME courtyard, The Dawn. At 6 PM is the Bucktown Bash, featuring tons of live music. At 6:30 Lee Blackmon is playing Cool Beanz, at 7 Central Perk is hosting a one-man art show and music by Retro Ron and friends.  Then…(gasp for breath)...Keep Off the Grass is at the River House, Machine Gun Willie is playing at The Rusty Nail, Tronicity is partying at 11th Street Precinct. Finally – The Curtis Hawkins Band has their CD Release party at The Muddy Waters (no cover!). See a write-up at the Quad-City Times on the CurtisHawkins Band.  I’m sure there are TONS of other shows out there that I’ve missed…
 
Saturday 

Start out the afternoon with Lee Blackmon at 2 PM at Creekside Vineyard in Coal Valley. Lynn Allen is at the River House, Tapped Out is playing Blueport Junction, Tronicity is back at 11th Street Precinct. Justin Morrissey and the Drunken Angels are playing outdoors at Martini’s on the Rock, and you can find the Night People at the North Shore Inn.

Summer is in full swing in the Quad-Cities. Enjoy the warm weather at an outdoor show, or cool off with an indoor AC gig. There’s live music everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment