Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I Need a Clone For All This Live Music


Sometimes I wish I could be in two places at once. Or three or four even.  This weekend was one of those times.  Yes, that was pretty much the story for the entire weekend.  Of course, I started Thursday night at The Muddy Waters. Things started off slow, but were heating up really well about the time I needed to head for home.  Most of the usual characters were there – and we were dancing in the aisles by 11 PM.


Friday night I had a full plate. Oh. My. Goodness. Did I ever have a full plate!  There was so much to do I didn’t even go home after work, but headed straight down to the Heartland Jam to pick up the pass so graciously provided by the Dirt Road Rockers.  But I wasn’t quite ready to enter the gate. My first stop was the RME Courtyard and an opportunity to check out The Dawn. Of course, by the time I got there, they were ready to go on break, so I ended up hanging out a little longer than planned in order to hear more than one song.  The Dawn has a bit of a country sound – and the steel guitar might be partly to blame for that.

My next stop was the Bucktown Birthday bash, held a week early to keep from clashing with the Bix festival.  I had been told months ago they would be hosting acoustic musicians indoors, with a stage and bands outdoors. However – I didn’t see any stage. The acoustic musicians were all enjoyable in their own ways. One duo really stood out for me. Bez and Megan had a really sweet sound. I hope to catch their show again sometime (when I have more time!).


Finally I headed for the Jam. For those of you who don’t know me well… I like country music… in very small doses. It’s a long story, but that’s the honest truth. So a self- immersion in country music for the whole weekend wasn’t something I would expect to do. However, I had been trying to get some decent photos of drummer Al Nache, and the Dirt Road Rockers were playing one of the beer tents for the jam. So Wyatt rounded up a 2 day pass for me, and I managed to squeeze some country music into my already crowded weekend.
The Dirt Road Rockers are not what I would call a pure country band. As their name implies, there’s a little rock mixed in with that country. And Friday night, they added some Michael Jackson to the mix. It was a bit odd watching all these young gals in sundresses and cowboy boots bouncing around to a Jackson disco hit.
I also stopped by the other beer tent and checked out North of 40 for the first time ever.  From what I heard, they are very, very much a country band. They had a good sound, although they were wrapping up their first set as I got to their tent so I only caught 2 songs. The main stage was firing up and Justin Moore was beginning his set. 

This guy was the official photog
But this guy had the big lens
I wandered toward the main stage, but soon realized I wouldn’t ever be able to get close enough for my little 18-55 Sony lens. As I watched the show and eyed the crowd (thinking maybe crowd shots would be the thing…) I thought this would be a great place for someone with a great big lens.  Blues Fest had a massive number of photographers, all vying for the perfect shot of the same artists.  Here there was a lone long lens hefted above the crowd. Wait a minute… I know that guy! And yes, once again I experienced a little lens envy.  I’ll be watching AlanCampbell’s Flickr page for his photos of the main stage acts.

Three hours of country music was good enough for me, so I took my leave of the riverfront and headed East into Bettendorf. Time for some Blues with Curtis Hawkins at The Muddy Waters. As I mentioned last week, this was a CD release party for the Curtis Hawkins band. I arrived just before the band went on break, but was glad I was there for much of their second set, as they played their CD in its entirety. I’ve talked to several blues musicians recently who are either working on CDs or have recently released a new CD, and all of them have said they wouldn’t think of having their release party anywhere else! Hal and Kristy have done so much for the local blues scene. Thank you Hal and Kristy for creating such a welcoming blues venue!

I made a quick trip over to Purgatory’s Pub to check out a band that unfortunately was already off the stage… I somehow missed the memo that it was a 2-band show. So that band will have to be seen another night.
 I’ll make Saturday’s run-down short, as my space for this week is almost full already! Creekside Vineyard – if you haven’t been yet, this place is a must! Live music every Saturday afternoon on the patio (weather permitting). And great wine too! This week I was there and sang along with Lee Blackmon. It was a great time, as usual.

Saturday night, 1st Impression took part in a 2-day benefit event at The Racers Edge in East Moline. Saturday’s lineup was 4th and 20 and 2 versions of 1st Impression.  Well, the 4th and 20 show wasn’t entirely 4th and 20, as Lyle Harris and Rob Tatman sat in for some missing members.  1st Impression’s second set turned into an awesome jam session, as former bandmates Bernie Davison and Scotty “Animal” Reeves joined Becky and Lyle. Wow – flashback! Only Bernie didn’t look like Bernie anymore. A special cameo appearance was arranged when harmonica player Don Stewart offered to pitch in $100 for the cause if he was allowed to play one song – and worlds collided as 1st Impression showed their diversity with a real blues jam!

This week:
Thursday – Tapped Out is at the Bettendorf Family Museum, The Curtis Hawkins band is at Bass Street Landing. Both are early evening shows, outdoors.

Friday – Rootless Experiences has an early show at Cool Beanz. Reggae band Two Peace is jamming at Brady Street Pub, Kilkenny’s has the Karry Outz and Wild Oatz is playing DaVinci’s Carb fest.

Yes – it’s Bix weekend.  Downtown Davenport is alive with music all day and night Saturday – and it’s not just Jazz! Street Fest bands include: Keep Off The Grass, The Busted Chandeliers, Identity Crisis, The Dawn, and Funktastic Five. Barrelhouse 211 has Danika Holmes, Jason Carl and Just Chords. Davincis is hosting 40 Proof, Just Cuz, Gray Wolf, and headliners 1st Impression.  Away from downtown Davenport, you can find Cobalt Blue at the 11th Street Precinct, Cosmic at Mound Street Landing, Danika Holmes at Grape Life and The Funnies at River House. And there are so many more!
 
I can’t imagine a better week for live music!  

No comments:

Post a Comment