Thursday, July 26, 2012

Influence revisited.


A while back I wrote a blog post about influence – and how things we say and do often influence when we least expect it.  I actually had a few people in mind when I wrote that. 

One of those people was a long-time friend – we knew each other more than 30 years. Things he said and did had a profound effect on me for a great expanse of my life. The effect might not have always been good – or right, but it definitely shaped who I was. In recent years we had all but stopped talking. I had purposely distanced myself from him because I felt some of the wrong things about him were keeping me from moving in the right direction.

After I wrote the influence blog, I had decided I needed to sit down with my friend and explain to him how much he had influenced my life, thank him for the good influences and forgive him for the not-so-good.  In fact, I had the perfect day picked out. My family was having a gathering and he would surely be there.  

A week before the gathering I received a phone call, telling me my friend had passed suddenly.  I went to his funeral, and was overwhelmed with stories from people who had been influenced by his good side (and had obviously forgiven the not-so-good).  I heard stories about how in recent years he had begun to make changes – to improve his friendships and regain those he had lost along the way. He just ran out of time.

I’ve been thinking about this almost non-stop since the funeral. There are people who have influenced and inspired me along the way. Some of them probably don’t know what they have done for me. I think it’s time to let them know. 

While I can.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Roberta, I have lost many friends and family and I wish I could talk to some of them now and express my feelings. One of my best friends lost his son to a shooting 1 year ago, what tributes poured for him but how many express that in person? Face to face, soul to soul, I've lived with death since my faher died when I was 6 and left a woman to raise 5 hell raising kids. It happens fast and to all of us without exception.
    If you have something to say to someone, do it, don't wait. yesterday will never catch up to you today.

    ReplyDelete