Monday, August 27, 2012

How I Spent My Summer


Summer is winding down, the kids are heading back to school, the air is already feeling a little fall-like (or at least it did last week… I saw 90 degrees on Friday).

Back in the 70s when I was a student, we were almost invariably asked by a teacher to write an essay about our summers. We weren’t a wealthy family, but my folks always made sure there was plenty to do during the summer. There was always a trip of some sort. California, Arkansas, Kentucky…we had family to visit. And there was always an element of education in those trips. As Camp Fire Girls, my sister and I sold candy in the fall to earn weeks at camp. We did pretty well – usually we had at least 2 weeks at camp without any out-of-pocket expense. With the addition of some smaller adventures, a project or two (we helped Dad build the brick patio one summer) and the additional summer chores, our summers flew by.  And they provided ample fodder for my annual fall essay.



This summer was one of those sorts of summers. I didn’t take a trip this year. I haven’t taken one in about eight years now, and am anxious to start doing that again. But I had several smaller adventures that kept me so busy I don’t know where my summer went.  


If you’ve been following my blog for any length of time, you’ll know I rekindled my interest in photography. Well… it actually began before this year, but I acquired a DSLR camera at the beginning of the year and have really been putting it to use. I joke that, just as a broken clock is right twice a day, I’m bound to have some good photos because I take so darn many. I’m mentioning this because my camera is part of the reason I’ve been out so much this summer. I also made a vow to be less constrained and more spontaneous.

 
Eugene Smiles Project at Street Fest
This was most definitely the summer of live music – not limited by genre either.  The Sony and I attended all three days of the Mississippi River Motorcycle Rally. In fact, I even made a compilation video of the experience (That was my “other” Sony. The A390 does not do video).  Nearly every weekend I went to at least one local live show, if not a half-dozen. I spent the better part of 2 days at Blues Fest, one evening at the new Heartland jam, both nights of the Bix7 Street fest and one evening at River Roots Live. I hardly ever go to the District – but gave in and checked out Ya Maka My Weekend.  What fun!  







Labivic at The Mill, IA City
On Fathers’ Day I went on an unexpected adventure to Iowa City to check out a band with a friend. Only the band we intended to see wasn’t playing and we were treated to two different bands.  I was sorry to miss the band we wanted to see, but still grateful for the new experience. 








And speaking of unexpected adventures, I scored a ticket at the very last minute (and at a very nice price, I might add) for the Mumford & Sons Gentlemen of the Road Dixon stopover. Sadly, cameras like my Sony weren’t allowed, so I came away with a heart and head full of the experience, but only a handful of photos from my phone.  I felt like I rediscovered my musical roots – it sounds a little corny, I know, but I was that weird girl in high school with the felt hat, fringed moccasins boots and acoustic guitar. When everyone else was rockin’ out or discoing, I was sitting under a tree somewhere playing my folk music.  Now there’s a whole generation of folk music lovers. I guess I wasn’t behind the times in the 70s. I was just a little (a lot) ahead.

Gogol Bordello at the Mumford & Sons Dixon stopover.
There were more people behind me than in front...
I also did my share of singing this year. I joined Lee Blackmon at a few of his gigs, and hit a couple of jam nights. I stepped on stage with my friends in 1st Impression for a song as well. This year was a bit tame compared to last year’s Skynny Skynyrd experience, but I haven’t given up on performing yet. 

There were non-music experiences as well. I’ve wanted to help out with the Living Lands And Waters XStream cleanup for a couple of years. This year I signed up and spent 3 hours traipsing about in the woods around Duck Creek cleaning up trash. I made some new friends in the process, and I think we actually had fun doing the cleanup.


These wacky women make any event a whole lot of fun!
I walked the Race for the Cure course with my survivor friend Christina (and a whole bunch of crazy women). This was my second race, and these gals sure make it fun! 










 


I attended a couple of local theatrical productions. And discovered I really, really like the District Theatre. Earlier this year I participated in something new called "Sudden Theater"at the Village theater. I'm hoping they do it again sometime. It was a fun way to take part in a theatrical production without the huge time commitment.

I entered items in the Mississippi Valley Fair. I haven’t had a Fair entry in more than 30 years, since my senior year in high school. Back then, most of my entries were textiles, though they were also art. Senior year I entered a giant latch-hook wall hanging that I designed myself. This year, I entered four pieces, two photographs, a charcoal drawing, and a computer-enhanced photo. My computer-enhanced photo earned 2nd place. I learned some things from this year’s fair and hope to do better next year. I’m also working on a plan to generate more interest in fair entries among children. The children’s exhibits are so limited, when they should be overwhelming.

I worked on my book – yes, I’ve been writing a book. It’s a reference book, with a fairly limited audience. I hope to self-publish before the end of the year. It’s a career move, and I hope it moves my career in the right direction. Speaking of my career – I applied for at least 2 dozen jobs over the summer, with absolutely no luck. Although I have two jobs I’m grateful for, I’m really hoping to be working in my chosen field one of these days.

It was definitely a full summer! How was your summer? Did you do things you’ve wanted to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment