Thursday, August 30, 2012

So Much Live Music!


There was no jam last Thursday at The Muddy Waters, so I decided to change-up my schedule a bit.  I hit a couple of jam/open mic nights to see what goes on at other locations. And I checked out some live music venues during the week instead of on the weekend.


Ren Estrand/Mississippi Misfits
Tuesday night found me at the River Music Experience. Local blues band The Mississippi Misfits, was opening for a touring Nashville band known as Buffalo Clover.  I really enjoyed the Misfits. I’ve seen drummer Tom Zick with other bands and like his work, but this was my first time seeing the rest of the band. Guitar/vocalist Ren Estrand was pretty darned impressive. And the keyboard player doubled up as a harmonica player, and a really good one at that. I would definitely see the Misfits again. 





To my surprise, most of the Misfits arrived at the Brady Street Pub jam shortly after I did. BSP Jam is hosted by The Harris Collection, and tends to be a regular blues jam, with a mix of musicians collaborating. Tuesday night we also enjoyed a little reggae, as 2Peace opened up the jam with members of The Harris Collection. 

Sarah Allison
Wednesday night I gave Rozz-Tox another whirl.  Folk artist Sarah Allison, who has made the Quad-cities her home the past few years, was opening for Aoife O’Donovan. Sarah has a beautiful voice, clear and pretty at all points in her range. Her music is original and has a nice folk sound. Sarah is leaving us to do an Ozarks tour. I hope she comes back soon so we can hear more from her. 

The headline act at Rozz-Tox was Aoife O’Donovan, a visiting folk artist hailing out of Boston. I’d like to state for the record that this is my third visit to Rozz-Tox, and I’ve been disappointed in the past by either the act on stage or the crowd. Wednesday night I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and I’ll be back to Rozz-Tox, hopefully to catch some local original music acts. Donnie you were right. Aoife WAS worth the price of admission.




Boozies' Open Mic
On the way home from Rozz-Tox, I stopped by Boozies on 3rd street to check out their Open Mic night. I was pleasantly surprised to see members of The Harris Collection there, as well as 2Peace. When I got there, members of Boozie’s house band were on stage, and they were followed by Retro Ron. Ron surprised me by playing a little Skynyrd, so I joined him for a song. 








Firesale
Friday evening started out where Friday evenings in the summer should start: The RME Courtyard and Friday Live at 5. This week, two young local bands were giving it all they had – 45 on High played the first set. Though they generally have a sound similar to the Foo Fighters, they pulled out some old rock and roll and surprised me. Young guys playing old guy music! I like it. 

They were followed by Firesale, who played a mix heavy with reggae sounds. They had two saxophone players, including Evan White who also plays with the Candymakers. Firesale is a really talented bunch of musicians, and they’ve pulled it together nicely.





Sunflower Slim and David G. Smith
It was a beautiful night to be outside listening to some great music, but my next stop was not an outdoor venue. Instead, I headed across the river to Cool Beanz.  TwoPeace and Sunflower Slim were playing at Cool Beanz Friday night. I stopped in and enjoyed a little music with my dinner. Flatbread pizza, Goose Island 312 and some folk music followed by a little reggae. Oh, and did I mention that David G. Smith joined Sunflower Slim for his set?  What a pleasant surprise! 

2Peace






Feel the music of The Candymakers
Four bands down, and the evening was still young! Next up, I braved the District and made my first ever stop at RIBCO. The Candymakers were playing there, and I thought this might be a good opportunity to see them in a different light. Well, different light is what I got, that’s for sure. Unfortunately, most of the evening, the stage was bathed in either solid red or solid green light. Neither color is very complimentary, so I ended up with a lot of black and white photos. I have to admit – I really did like the stage set up and the balcony – I had plenty of locations to shoot from as the bar wasn’t packed at all. The band was amazing, as usual. Their sound is so cool, I can’t help but dance a little. I stayed for two sets, and noticed they started each set out with an instrumental number. Front man Alan Sweet stayed off stage and joined them after the first number of each set. The restrooms were behind the stage, and it just so happens that I was just coming out from the restrooms at the beginning of the first set – and there was Alan Sweet dancing around back stage. It’s refreshing to see musicians who enjoy their music so much they dance even when they’re NOT in front of their fans.




Saturday night I joined Lee Blackmon and Steve Steiner at Bleyarts in the Village of East Davenport. We had a great time.  I followed that up with the last couple of hours of Paddle Fest at the Paddlewheel in Bettendorf. 1st Impression was partying on the big outdoor stage there.



Smooth Jazz anyone?
Sunday morning I did something a little different and checked out the Jazz brunch at the Radisson in downtown Davenport. The Anthony Catalfano Quartet was playing, including John O’Meara on bass. This was a jazz quartet that I could enjoy. I’m not much into the Dixieland stuff, but smooth jazz is cool and I can listen to it all day.







More photos from my musical journey can be found on my Flickr page.


Coming up this week:
Thursday is a busy night this week! The John O’Meara Jam session is back at The Muddy Waters, David G. Smith is the opening act at the Redstone Room, and The Candymakers and The Low Down have a show at The Establishment Theatre in Rock Island. Donnie Bobb is hosting  an original music only open mic night at Rozz-Tox

Friday night: The Bucktown has their final Friday open house, and it appears Retro Ron will be playing there. Friday Live at 5 is featuring Jim the Mule this week. Funktastic Five is at The Rusty Nail, The Muddy Waters has the Avey Brothers, and TwoPeace and The Harris Collection will be at the Brady Street Pub. Chuck Murphy will be doing his acoustic thing at DaVincis.

Saturday : Danika Holmes is playing the 2 PM slot at Creekside Vineyard and Winery, The Rusty Nail has Vodkaseven, Kent Burnside and the New Generation will be laying down some blues at the Muddy Waters. Propaganda is playing at Go Fish in Princeton.

Sunday: Creekside Vineyard has added a 2 PM show with Chuck Murphy for the holiday weekend. And there’s an open mic at the Creekside in Davenport. Just don’t confuse the two!


There are open mics/jam sessions nearly every night somewhere. And live music lives on in the QC at various music venues. Support live music in the QC area!

No comments:

Post a Comment