Thursday, August 16, 2012

Reggae and a Reunion, Mon



There was so much to do and see in the Quad-Cities this weekend that I couldn’t possibly take it all in. So… I didn’t even try. I had grand ideas of all the places I would go, but when it came down to it – even I have my limits.  I took a swing through Ya Maka My Weekend Friday night, with a stop in the Village of East Davenport on the way home. Saturday it was a River Music Experience night, with an awesome reunion concert and an opening band that was on my “need to see” list.

Ya Maka My Weekend

Reggae! Reggae! Reggae! (Actual lyrics I heard Friday night).  Friday night was a bit cool – I took a light sweater along and actually wore it. But the reggae sounds filled the air and it was obvious the folks were diggin’ that jam. When I arrived, the main stage was putting out cool sounds, so I headed there first to check it out. Gizzae had the stage, and they were hitting the bass extra hard. Standing up close to the speakers for close-up shots, I could feel the beat as it pounded my internal organs. Oh yeah… I couldn’t stay close for very long. The hoopers were there as well, with their lighted hula hoops dancing to the beat. I particularly enjoyed the brass in Gizzae’s sound.




Next stop was the plaza stage and the Chicago All-Stars. The smaller stage didn’t have the overwhelming sound system of the main stage, but the beat was present and the sounds were mellow. The crowd here was smaller too, until Gizzae ended their set. 








  

I noticed as I checked out the sights that the District bars were all pretty quiet – some were providing service outside their doors in order to get some business from the party crowds, but on the inside, most were considerably less busy than usual. A swing by Dels was definite proof. I spent a half-hour sitting at the bar of a place I normally would avoid because of the crowd. In that time, Robyn had less than 20 customers come through. Of course, Dels is probably the furthest bar from the action, so that might have affected their business. Patrons of bars like Icons had the ability to enjoy their favorite bar and the music at the same time.


I made one last trip to the main stage and caught a little of Lazo & the Radikals.  Lazo is a lively fellow – he didn’t stand still much. His antics on stage alone could make for an entertaining show. The band, however, rose to the occasion with an intense sound. All–in-all, Ya Maka My Weekend was a jammin' place to hang out.









Local Music Didn’t Take the Weekend Off

Friday night I managed to check in on a couple of local shows – one before and one after my visit to the District. Earlier in the evening, I stopped in at the RME’s Friday Live at 5 celebration and enjoyed a multi-decade romp with HiFi. These guys have a great sound and solid vocals. A couple of super-young fans nearly stole the show.

On my way home from the District I wandered through the Village of East Davenport. The only bar in the Village with a band Friday night was 11th Street Precinct, and the band was Cosmic. I’ve come to the conclusion that Cosmic needs to start playing some larger venues. Either that or the Precinct just normally draws a larger crowd. I’ve seen Cosmic there twice, and both times the crowd was so thick I couldn’t get a decent photo from the bar. I was determined this time, and managed to squeeze in the stage door and get some shots from there. I really do enjoy the dual female vocals of Cosmic. 




Strange Neighbors Reunion

The River Music Experience is known for bringing in bands from outside the area. Saturday night was a different sort of occasion. A local band from the recent past came back together on the Redstone Room stage for a reunion appearance that brought the house down.That band was Strange Neighbors. I’ll admit – I never saw them during their heyday. My invite to the show came from Alan Sweet of the Candymakers.


 Opening the show for them was another local band that has been on my “to see” list for a while, Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band. Carl’s band was fantastic! Their set was mostly original material with just a couple of covers thrown in… really awesome stuff.  Several Jason Carl band members also performed with Strange Neighbors. I would like to catch them sometime when Serena is playing keys and singing. A little (Troy Christianson) bird told me Serena does some great lead vocals. I would really like to hear more from her.





Let’s talk about the Strange Neighbors’ set, shall we? How have I been in the Quad Cities most of my life and never seen Dustin Cobb play? And then there’s the whole drumming duo thing – and Alan Sweet as a backing vocalist to Dustin’s lead. There were times when the show was more like a big jam session, with other musicians joining the band, including Justin Morrissey on harmonica. At one time I counted 10 musicians on stage. Alan Sweet and Serena had some powerful vocal moments. The bass player traded his electric for a stand-up. The dance floor was crowded – in a rock concert sort of way. 

The events I’ve written about here provided so many great photo opportunities.  You can see more photos on my Flickr page

This Week:

Tonight – Open Mics and Jams abound! There’s the John O’Meara jam at The Muddy Waters (where you will usually find me as well), The Avey Brothers have a Jam at Rascals, and there’s an Open Mic at Creekside.  The Candymakers are scheduled at Bass Street Landing at 7 tonight. 

Friday – The District Theater is putting on a Buddy Holly Tribute, Machine Gun Willie is at Jumers’ Edge Nightclub, Hunter Station is playing the Rusty Nail. Danika Holmes is playing at Refresh Lounge. Jason Carl’s band will be opening the River Roots Live festival.

Saturday – Lee Blackmon has an early afternoon show at Creekside Vineyard in Coal Valley, Justin Morrissey and the Drunken Angels can be found at Martinis on the Rock, Machine Gun Willie is back at the Edje, Cobalt Blue is playing at The Muddy Waters.

There’s yet another music festival – the annual River Roots Live (and rib fest) is in LeClaire park Friday and Saturday. Be there before 5 for free admission, or prepare to pay $5 if you arrive after 5 PM.

Come out and support your local musicians this week!




No comments:

Post a Comment