Thursday, November 15, 2012

Getting Back Into the Swing


While still adjusting to my new work schedule, I’m starting to get out a little more. Last Friday, I spent a little time in Downtown Davenport, with my first stop at Barrel House 211. They were starting out with an acoustic musician doing a dinner hour show. Visiting Chicago musician, Mer, played a set of familiar songs, utilizing a loop to not only make his one guitar sound like more, but to add a looped beat he recorded as he banged on his guitar.

I left The Barrel House and headed for the River Music Experience. Savoy Brown was playing in the Redstone Room, but I had my sights set on something a little more intimate. Lindsay Lou and the Flatbellies were playing on the Community Stage. I was looking forward to their folk sound.

What I didn’t expect was the amazing opening act. Tennessee native (fresh from Minnesota) Chastity Brown took the stage first with her bass player. Chastity is billed as a little gospel, a little folk, and a little blues. She has a blues voice that puts soul in her folk music. Without a drummer, Chastity explained how she made a stomp box out of a $1 wooden cigar box and a contact microphone. As she stomped the box, it sounded like a kick drum behind her guitar and banjo.  I have to mention the banjo – as she plays it as proficiently as her guitar. If you get an opportunity to see Chastity Brown, with or without her band, jump at the chance. I bought one of her CDs (something I rarely do), and I was thrilled with my purchase. I thought Chastity’s performance Friday night was pretty amazing, but with her band, she takes it to another level. I’m starting a one-woman campaign now to get her back here for Blues Fest or River Roots live – with her entire band.



The headliner for the night was Lindsay Lou and the Flatbellies, out of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Lindsay Lou has a beautiful voice and has written some very enjoyable roots music. The band has a great cohesive sound and was a lot of fun to watch. Resonator guitarist Mark put on an especially animated show, and Lindsay Lou was often so taken by the music she could barely contain herself. Their vocal harmonies were tight and left me with chills.  The best song of the night was introduced as a new song – one of two “so new they’re still in diapers”.  I would definitely see this band again.

I’ll talk about the rest of my weekend another time – as I want to have a little time to tell you what is coming up this weekend!

Friday – Smokehouse is playing at M.D. Greens in the District, Nervous Rex is at Fargo (for the weekend, sort of), and The Muddy Waters has Mississippi Misfits.  The Dirt Road Rockers are playing Rascals Live, you can find Night Light at DaVinci’s, and Martini’s has North of 40. Orangadang is opening for Family Groove Company at the Redstone Room.

Saturday – The Carry Outz are playing the Greenbriar, Identity Crisis is playing Mulligans, and Purgatory’s has Vodkaseven. Danika Holmes is playing Davinci’s, and Three Year’s Hollow is celebrating their video release at the Redstone Room. 

You can see more photos on my Flickr page here

The air might be turning colder, but things are still heating up in the QC. So get out there and enjoy some live music!

No comments:

Post a Comment