Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sweet Blues and Christmas Cheese?


I started my night Friday at The Muddy Waters and enjoyed some Candy… Yes, the Candymakers were making sweet sounds at Muddy’s Friday. We were treated to some new original works, including a Christmas song,which, according to Bret Dale, was loaded with cheese…













The band was joined on stage late in the first set by an unexpected, unannounced guest – who just wanted to dance along.

From Bettendorf I headed across the river to Martini’s on the Rock. I’ve seen Justin Morrissey’s solo acoustic gigs before, but I’ve never had a chance to catch him with The Drunken Angels before. Tonight was going to be that night.







Let me first remind you – I’ve stated before that I can only handle country music in small doses.  So when I walked into Martini’s and the first thing I saw was that steel guitar, I thought I was in for a rough night. Well, not only did I survive the night, but I was pleasantly surprised. The band was very good (which I expected), and bonus! They played a healthy mix of country and classic rock.









 

Saturday night was spent with 1st Impression at the Brew in Muscatine. It was a truly inspiring night. Make no mistake – I’m biased – but this was probably one of the best nights the band has had in the last 4 years. I was so proud of them I could have burst!













So what’s on for this week?

Well, tonight (if it’s not too late by the time I get this posted),  there are a couple of cool shows that need mention: 2Peace is the opening act for Jon Wayne and the Pain tonight at the Redstone Room, and the Low Down is hosting a special Toys for Tots benefit show at the Bent River Brewing Company.

The Avey Brothers are hosting a jam at Rascals tonight, and John O’Meara has the jam at The Muddy Waters.

Friday – The Harris Collection has their Christmas Toy Drive show at Mound Street Landing, and House Arrest is doing the weekend at Fargo.  Wild Oatz is playing Purgatory’s, The Greenbriar has North of 40, and Funktastic Five is at Martinis. I’ll be with Lee Blackmon at Bleyarts.

Saturday – Cosmic is at the Precinct, Smooth Groove is at Martini’s, 1st Impression is opening for Sex Panther at Rascals. The Karry Outz are at the Hawkeye, Vodkaseven is playing the Rusty Nail, and 11th street Precinct has Cosmic.

This is it for tonight folks – I need to get this blog posted! Get out and enjoy some live music this weekend!

You can find more of my photos on my Flickr page here

No comments:

Post a Comment