Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Benefits and Blues in the QC


I attend the occasional benefit – music for a good cause is always worth my money. This week, I attended two. One was a memorial, the other for one of my favorite causes. I also caught one of my favorite KC bands, and an Iowa City funk band for a whole lot of fun.


Many local musicians paid tribute to
Chuck Osborne at Muddy's Thursday.
Thursday night, The Johnny O Jam session at The Muddy Waters was pre-empted for a memorial benefit jam. Last week, Chuck Osborne was killed in a motorcycle/auto accident. He was very involved in the local live music culture, and had a whole lot of friends (understatement… you had to see the crowd at Muddy’s Thursday night just to get an idea of how well-liked this guy was). The music community got together and assembled this jam in record time. Thursday night, Chuck’s family was in attendance as various musicians stood on Muddy’s stage and paid tribute to Chuck. Ellis Kell played with Chuck’s son, Mikey on harmonica. (The Candymakers called Mikey up to play with them as well) and we saw a few faces not usually seen on the stage at Muddy’s, including Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band. There was also a reunion of Strange Neighbors. Some of the regulars even got up and jammed a bit with the Candymakers and Jason Carl’s band.  It was a fitting memorial for Chuck.

 



Randy Leasman
There was another benefit to attend on Friday night. This was Raise the Roof for Youth, raising money for the youth programs at Gilda’s Club. The bands at this year’s benefit included Jason Carl and The Whole Damn Band (I just love saying that) and Orangadang. Randy Leasman started the evening out with an acoustic set (early – the benefit started at 6 PM), and he was followed by Esme and Nick Vasquez.


The acoustic performances went well. In so many venues, acoustic performers tend to become background music for whatever else is going on. Leasman’s style draws interest, as even the folks sitting on the other side of the bar visiting stopped what they were doing to listen in.
 



Esme
Nick Vasquez
Esme has a beautiful, clear voice and her original music was well received. Nick Vasquez provided a second guitar and a few backing vocals, creating a fuller, broader sound.










 

I left RIBCO after the acoustic acts so I could catch the tail-end of the OSG set at the Redstone Room.  I wanted to see at least a little of their show as a couple of friends have told me they’re a fun band. I can say I wasn’t disappointed. Musically, their sound is light and fun – nothing heavy here. I have a lot of respect for bands that are not willing to sacrifice the full sound of a larger band for the efficiency of a lean, smaller band. I love trios and quads don’t get me wrong, but this was a great big band with dual female singers. I’ve performed in a larger band and understand how the pay scale works. Unless you’re big-time, big-band equals sacrifice. OSG is a funk band out of Iowa City. If you get a chance, check them out.
OSG brought a party to the RME

This wasn't the only surprise...
If I haven’t clearly made it known previously – I think we all know the real reason I was at the Redstone Room. One of my all-time favorite blues bands was playing Friday night – Trampled Under Foot. Yes, I know this is mostly a local music blog, but I also like to touch on bands that visit my favorite local venues and our local music festivals as well. Every time I see the Schnebelen siblings they just get better. The first time I saw the trio was at River Roots Live in 2011. They dealt with sound issues and a serious lack of monitors through their entire set that night – and still rocked the park. I went to see them again at Blues Fest last year because I wanted to hear what they sounded like without the sound system issues, and they didn’t disappoint me. A Redstone Room show in December only left me sad that I couldn’t get there sooner (1st Impression had a gig that night).





...and this was absolutely cool!
 Friday’s show was absolutely amazing.  I’m wondering though – I don’t think I’ve ever seen Danielle play guitar – she’s always been a bassist. Friday night I saw her set aside her bass and pick up a guitar. What a surprise! But… there was more…when she produced a bottleneck and began to play slide. I knew there was a reason this woman is one of my musical idols. Now she’s added a new dimension. Brother Chris provided a surprise of his own when he put down his drum sticks, picked up an acoustic guitar and played solo from behind the drums. And Nick absolutely rocked all night. These three really are going places… and I hope they continue to visit the QC as they have a huge following here. I’ve heard they’ve done a show or two with Samantha Fish back in KC… I think a Trampled Under Fish tour would be a great idea – especially if they would make a stop right here!

Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band
After TUF finished at the Redstone Room, I headed back across the river to RIBCO and the benefit (This is now known as River-Hopping:  bar-hopping or venue-hopping to the extreme).  Next up at RIBCO was Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band – I had completely missed Orangadang’s set!  As usual, Jason was happy to see me (I think Jason is happy to see everyone). And their set, though short, was really good. They just ran out of time. Violinist/guitarist Ben Lorenzen commented “I thought we were just taking a break! You mean we’re done already?”  I really like their sound – and I’m enjoying their CD as well.

A little 1st Impression love...
Saturday night was spent with 1st Impression at a very, very crowded Hawkeye Tap. It was a great night, Becky was in her usual form, the band sounded awesome, the lights looked fantastic (thanks to John Fuller for that) and I enjoyed myself, in spite of a thumping headache (or was the thumping from John Biondo’s new DW drum kit?)













You can find more photos of the bands on my Flickr page HERE.

Before I go into this week’s listing, I want to highlight a special event. There will be a benefit for Josh Hall Friday night at the Milan Community Center from 6-10:30 and just especially for this benefit, the generous folks of Tri-Polar XXXpress will be reuniting.  If you have ever been a fan, or never got to see them before, here’s your chance to catch them… and help out a good cause at the same time.

Thursday – There are jam sessions at The Muddy Waters, Rascals, and The Dam View. You’ll find Chuck Murphy at RIBCO.

Friday – The Harris Collection is opening for the Chris Lager Band at the Redstone Room. The Muddy Waters has Biscuit Miller, Powell is playing at Rustic Ridge, and The Night People are at The Rusty Nail. Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band are playing Generations, The 11th Street Precinct has Tronicity, and Just Chords can be found at Bleyarts. RIBCO has 4 on the Floor with Weight and Satellite Heart. No Excuse is playing at Purgatory’s, Rascals has Grab Harass, and Phyllis & the Sharks can be found at Martini’s on the Rock. You’ll find me with Lee Blackmon for an early evening experience at Dunn Brothers.

Saturday – It’s Record Store Day! Head down to Ragged Records during the day for the celebration, including: Idpyramid, Speaking of Secrets, The Busted Chandeliers, Puddle Jumpers, and The Post Mortems.  The Low Down is opening for Family Groove Company at the Redstone Room. RIBCO has Phamily Berzerker with Have Your Cake. You’ll find Kevin B. F. Burt and Big Medicine at The Muddy Waters, and Sugar Nipples with Halo of Fire at Rascals. The Fast Clydes are playing at the Rusty Nail, The Greenbriar has the Night People, and Gray Wolf is at Hollars. The Mound Street Landing has Cosmic, Propaganda is playing at Purgatorys, and you’ll find The Tailfins at the Col Ballroom. There’s a big party at the Brady Street Pub, with QC Slim, The Harris Collection and The Mississippi Misfits.
Sunday - Bierstube has a 4 band extravaganza - Luther, Glocca Morra, Straight Up! and Dynoride.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment