Thursday, April 11, 2013

Live Music Happenings in the QC


After last week’s novel, I’m taking it easy this week. Not only did it take me all week to write that beast – but the amount of live music I saw in order to compile that much information was staggering. I also put some serious miles on the convertible.

So... this was a slow week for me, but not for the local music scene!


Ren Edstrand and Ziggie McQuay of the Mississippi Misfits
Friday night was spent at The Muddy Waters with The Mississippi Misfits – and a number of celebrity visitors. The guys are in great form – from Ren’s mesmerizing guitar solos to Tom’s smooth vocals to Ziggie’s hot keyboards. Speaking of Ziggie – he was showing off some moves on the dance floor, bass in hand. I can only imagine where he might go if he was wireless.  There were musicians in the audience as well, including but not limited to: Vid James, Shon Harris, and Perry Hultgren.  Harmonica player Freddie Jones from Cedar Rapids joined the band during their last set.
 

Roadkill Ghost Choir in the dark at Rozz-tox
I began my Saturday night at Rozz-tox. Roadkill Ghost Choir was playing there, and I had heard good things about this visiting band. Their indie-rock sound is enhanced unexpectedly by a steel guitar. I’m used to seeing those with country bands, but was impressed at how well this instrument was integrated into the overall sound.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The Karry Outz discoed
From Rozz-tox, I headed over to The Muddy Waters. I decided tonight might be the night to check in with some bands I haven’t seen in a while, so this stop was a visit with The Karry Outz. I was there for a little over half a set – and caught the band in disco mode. Yes, that’s right, disco! The dance floor was hopping, Kelli’s shoes were sparkling, Jerry was singing – and everyone was having a blast. I was wishing I had headed there sooner – there seem to have been some changes, and I would like to see more.
 
 

John Kiss, Jerry Smith and Mark Schrupp locked in harmony
Since it was near the end of their night, I headed out again. My destination? The Hawkeye and Simon Says Uncle. I arrived just a little past midnight and found the bar to still be pretty well packed.  Simon Says Uncle specializes in arena-style rock – and they are well suited to that genre. I particularly enjoyed their rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” The vocal harmonies were really locked in; though I’m wondering …which one was Stevie?

 
 
If you would like to see more band photos, please visit my Flickr page!
 
Happening this week:

Tonight there is a memorial benefit at The Muddy Waters for Chuck Osborne.  It sounds like it’s going to be one big jam.

Friday – The Gilda’s Club Raise the Roof benefit at RIBCO includes Randy Leaseman, Orangadang, and Jason Carl and the Whole Damn Band. The Muddy Waters has The Chris Avey Band, Tommy Gunn is playing at Bleyarts, and you can find Chuck Murphy at Headquarters bar. Purgatory’s has The Wild Oatz, while Vodkaseven is playing the Davenport Eagles Club, and The Funktastic Five are at The Rusty Nail. Martini’s on the Rock has Justin Morrissey and the Drunken Angels, Rob Dahms is at Rustic Ridge, and Project Pickle Farm is playing Blueport Junction. Caught in the Act is playing the 11th Street Precinct, while Just Chords is at Kilkenny’s and Rascals has the Dirt Road Rockers.  The River Music Experience has Mike Cochrane on the Community Stage, with Kansas City-based Blues siblings Trampled Under Foot and Iowa City-based OSG in the Redstone Room.

Saturday – Mulligans has Identity Crisis, Lynn Allen is playing Purgatory’s and Jim the Mule is at The Muddy Waters. Cosmic is playing the Daiquiri Factory, Bleyarts has FireSale,and Project Pickle Factory is playing The Mound Street Landing. The Redstone Room has Three Years Hollow with Throw the Fight, Eleven Fifty-Two  and The Last Glimpse. North of 40 is at The Rusty Nail, Rozz-Tox has Shivering Timbers, and The Mercury Brothers are playing Rascals. You’ll find me with 1st Impression at the Hawkeye.

With so many great choices – why would anyone want to sit at home? So come on out and support the local music scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment