Thursday, July 11, 2013

So Many Choices Only One Me - Live Music in the QC


Another 4th of July and another Blues Fest –done and done. This is the first year that I made it to three days of Blues Fest (and one night of pre-fest party), but that was at the cost of missing some of the 4th of July festivities. I tried to get away from the fest on Friday to check out a show at Rozz-tox as well, but a delay forced me to abandon that plan. I know I can't be everywhere at once - and this week's schedule will definitely prove that. So many choices!

As indicated, I started the holiday with a visit to The Muddy Waters Wednesday night for the MVBF kickoff party. The featured band was Howard and the White Boys. Although the evening started out a bit slowly (given the band started at 8 instead of the usual 9 PM show), the room quickly filled, and by the band’s first break, Hal was asking folks to share their tables, and the dance floor was full of happy patrons.
 
 

I can’t believe I have lived in the Quad-Cities most of my life and never attended a Bettendorf 4th of July parade. That is partly due to the fact that I have spent nearly all of my July 4th holidays since 1996 camping. That ended last year and I’m learning new things to do on summer holidays (and new ways to camp too – but that’s an upcoming story). This year, I took in the parade. Unlike the St. Patrick’s Day parade and the Festival of Trees parade, it was stinkin’ hot at 10 AM! But that didn’t slow anyone down, and we all sweat it out together in our patriotic duds.

After the parade (and a quick shower), I made my way to Cumberland Square. Last year I did attend this party. This year I knew I was going to be at Blues Fest for most of the day and night, but thought to stop by the Bettendorf bash. When I arrived, Nervous Rex was setting up on the West stage, while Smooth Groove was playing on the East stage.  In another surprising turn, I’ve never had the opportunity to check out Smooth Groove, so I wandered to the East end stage.  Smooth Groove, for those of you who haven’t seen them, is a rather large band.  They double-up on percussion and add keyboards. The music this day was that of a dance party, and their rather large audience included many who danced in the street.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Back at the other end of the block I found Nervous Rex with a lineup change. With Jeff sitting in as guitarist, they look distinctly like VJJ Groove… but with the classic covers of Nervous Rex. They did manage to slip in one of VJJ Groove’s originals though.(I bet they thought I didn’t catch that). After that, I was off to Downtown Davenport for the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest.





Check back later for a photo blog from the Blues Festival.  And for more photos of the bands listed here please check out my Flickr page.

So… what’s on tap for this week?

Have you heard about the Slip N Slide Music Festival? I’ve been trying to make it there for a couple of years. Last year, some of the bands playing there suggested I go, but I already had something booked that weekend. This year I’m going. Along with a 300-foot slip n slide, the festival boasts multiple local bands – and the addition of touring acts, The Giving Tree Band and Antony and the Tramps. Expect to see The Harris Collection, The Mississippi Misfits, Rude Punch, and The Dirt Road Rockers as well. There is camping onsite too.

This is also Trucker’s Jamboree Weekend at the I-80 Truck stop. You can find North of 40 and Lindsay Lawler there on Thursday, Dani Lynn Howe and Blackberry Smoke on Friday and Identity Crisis on Saturday.

Another local festival is the Banana Ball at The Docs Inn (Silvis). Four days of entertainment include: Thursday- Tim Stop and Dirt Road Rockers, Friday – Funktastic 5, Too White Crew and the Powells, Saturday – Binjers and Cheese Pizza, and Sunday – Chuck Murphy and Lynn Allen.

Don’t forget regional fests like Camp Euforia and Freedom Fest on the River, both boasting Quad-Cities based bands.

 

This week:

Thursday- The Whoozdads? are playing at Fayes Field, Vander Veer park has the Fast Clydes and Coupe De Ville is at Bass St. Landing. The RME has Victor & Penny on the Community Stage, with Mingo Fishtrap ad The Curtis Hawkins band in the Redstone room. Rozz-tox has The Gates, All Dogs Invited and Dynoride. You can find Tim Stop at Barrelhouse 211.

Friday- Starting with Friday Live at 5, the RME hosts the Night People, while in the Performance Hall you can find Madden the Moment, TV Magic and High Fives & Handshakes. PepperJacks has joined the list of venues with the Jef Spradley Band, The Chris Avey band is at The Muddy Waters, and North of 40 is playing the Rusty Nail. The Dirt Road Rockers are at Martinis on the Rock, Purgatory’s has Just Cuz, and Terry & the Loan Sharks are playing at RIBCO. Justin Morrissey and the Drunken Angels are at the 11th Street Precinct, and Barrelhouse 211 is hosting Just Chords. Rascals has a big lineup with Half Naked, Skarekrow, Kriptik Soppe and Higgy… and Crossroads is celebrating their 25th Anniversary at the River House – expect some former band members and other special guests to appear!

Saturday – The Rusty Nail has the Old 57’s, Keep Off the Grass is playing at Go Fish, and Crossroads is at The Office. The Daiquiri Factory is celebrating an anniversary with Headbangers Ball and Corporate Rock. Rozz-tox lineup includes Lewis Knudsen, Molly Conrad, Errol Hem, and Christopher Bell. Smooth Groove is playing at the River House, Propaganda can be found at Martinis on the Rock, and Generations is hosting Caught in the Act. The Chris Avey band is at RIBCO, The Muddy Waters has Cobalt Blue, and Terry and the Loan Sharks are playing the Bierstube. Wild Oats is at Purgatory's, The Greenbriar has Widetrack, and Rascals is hosting Lynn Allen. You can find the Karry Outz at the 11th St. Precinct.
 
 
Holy Cow that's a lot of LIVE music!

Remember - support local live music. The local band you support today could become the touring act the world loves next month!
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment