Wednesday, June 6, 2012

An Anniversary Celebration and New Orleans


I feel so blessed to know so many great, gracious local musicians. And it seems like I’m meeting new people every week. Most are really receptive to having an amateur photographer/blogger hanging around. I get to see a lot of positive in the music community in this area. I’m especially happy to see musicians with a night off popping in to support other musicians. That’s sort of how I got started doing my blog… I don’t have a regular gig anymore. When people ask me what I’m doing musically these days, I tell them I’m singing with whoever will have me. Such is the life of a backing vocalist.




Thursday night at Muddy’s was full of music and fun. I’m happy for Johnny O and Hal and Kristy – the jam night seems to really be doing well. A few (like me) have become regulars, showing nearly every Thursday. And not only has the musician list grown in recent weeks, but the audience has grown as well. It’s good to see so many people out to support our local musicians.



Jam nights are awesome for hearing a lot of different musicians in one place. If you go though, be prepared for some rough edges – multiple musicians who don’t normally play together get up to jam. Sometimes the mix is amazing! Sometimes, a group will get up and work out some new music. I think it’s a treat to hear something new being exposed for the first time.



Friday night was the beginning of a weekend-long party for Jason Stuart and Cobalt Blue. These guys have been jamming for 25 years. To celebrate, they threw a CD release party, highlighting their live CD – recorded in many of the bars they’ve played over the years. The party started at 5 PM at the Friday Live at 5 concert at the River Music Experience. Every Friday in the summer the RME puts on a free concert in the plaza next to their building.  Cobalt Blue kicked off the summer season with the beginning of their CD release party.

After the Live at 5 show, and with the help of a few friends, Cobalt Blue did a quick tear-down and headed to Bettendorf, where they did a speedy setup (and wardrobe change) to continue the party at The Muddy Waters. I saw some of the same faces at Muddy’s that I saw down at the RME, and a whole lot more. If you are a blues fan, and you’ve never been out to see Cobalt Blue, you’re missing out. Their mix of original music and covers is just right – and occasionally they have musicians sit in with them for an added bonus. Alto sax player Frank Drew joined them for the anniversary party Friday night. And besides being a great musician, keyboardist David Craft puts on a show of his own. He has to be the most active keyboard player I’ve ever seen! Here's a Dispatch article about the band:  Cobalt Blue article



I left the Cobalt Blue party after the first set at Muddy’s and made a stop in the Village of East Davenport on my way home. Keep Off the Grass was playing at 11th Street Precinct, and I wanted to swing by and see what was new with them. KOTG has made a few changes in their set list, and Friday night I got a taste of the new music. Next time you get a chance to see them, expect to see a little harder edge on what used to be a very soft band – and I like it!



I spent the entire evening Saturday with 1st Impression in East Moline. Racer’s Edge was packed when we got there, and stayed that way most of the night. What a great party! I love the opportunities I get to jump on stage and sing – and Saturday night provided more than the usual. Thanks Becky!



The summer outdoor festival/music season is kicking into gear in the Quad-Cities. Thursday evening, Nervous Rex will be playing their debut reunion show at Bass Street Landing. This is a free outdoor concert – take the family along! The show is from 7 – 8:30. Yours truly will be there! Welcome back guys!


There will be plenty of time to get from Bass Street Landing to The Muddy Waters in Bettendorf for the Johnny O Jam for more blues and rock.


This weekend offers an abundance of music choices. Gumbo Ya-Ya is happening in the District. Friday night, Rob Dahms is playing at Skinny Legs barbeque in Milan while Lee Blackmon has a sing-along at Cool Beanz in Rock Island. Serious Business will be getting their blues on at The Muddy Waters. River House has started their outdoor season as well, and Friday night Sin City will be on the outdoor stage.


Saturday night, there’s more Gumbo Ya-Ya, the River Music Experience is hosting its BeeRME fundraiser, and the District Theater will be rocking with “We Are Young – a night of rock and roll”. Identity Crisis will be playing at the River House, The Rusty Nail is hosting Wicked Liz and the Bellyswirls, and House Arrest can be found on the dock in Port Byron.

The Quad Cities is full of live music! I know this week I'll have a hard time limiting myself, but I'm going to try really hard not to be everywhere at once. Support Local Live Music! Get out this weekend and take in a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment