Thursday, June 21, 2012

Music, Motorcycles and More


For 18 years the Quad Cities has been blessed to have its own motorcycle rally. But it has always been so much more than a motorcycle rally. With a humble beginning in the Village of East Davenport, musicians and motorcycle enthusiasts all got together for a whole lot of rumbling – that wasn’t entirely Harley engines. I’ll spare you all the history – as some reading this know far more about the history and the inner workings of this event that I can ever know. Eighteen years ago I walked to my first Sturgis on the River, as I lived just a few blocks from the Village at that time. What has now become the Mississippi River Motorcycle Rally is far larger than anything some of us ever imagined it would become.

This year, I looked at the Rally with new eyes. I brought my cameras and visited all 3 stages on all three days. I witnessed a biker wedding. I chatted with a bodypaint model in the middle of the day on the main drag. I climbed the stairs of “Pipes” announcement tower and attempted to photograph motorcycles as far as the eye could see.  I caught a glimpse of Bottoms Up Burlesque. And I enjoyed a whole lot of music. I saw bands I haven’t had the opportunity to see.




Nervous Rex played through a rainstorm













Pash N Brew
And now I have a list of bands that I want to see in a different venue. I’ll be seeking them out in the coming months. If you have never been to the motorcycle rally, you’re missing the opportunity to see bands you may never have normally seen. Maybe, like me, you’ll discover you like a band you’ve never seen before. I can honestly say, I didn’t see any bands in the three days that I didn’t like. I’ll add the disclaimer here that I saw a lot of bands, but didn’t make it to all of them.







My original plan for blogging about the rally was to be more detailed and create more than one blog. Instead – I’m going to show you a video montage of some of the sights and sounds of the rally. And you’ll be able to see photos on my Flickr page. Not every band is represented – and regretfully I wasn’t even on the grounds when The King’s Kiss played their farewell show – but the video and photos should give you some idea of the talent in the area. There’s even a little teaser from the Burlesque – they did a short ½ hour preview of their upcoming show on June 29th and 30th at the Speakeasy. See the video  at the bottom of this post. The video is available on Youtube , and even more photos on Flickr (linked above). I'll be adding more photos to the set over the next week, so check back!


Yours truly, hard at work. Thanks Alan!



Also, my friend Alan Campbell was lurking around the rally Friday night. I say lurking because I didn't see him, though he snapped a shot of me up in the tower.  His images can be seen here: Alansheaven



What’s in store this week? I’m taking Friday off work. I have intentions to complete some projects, but also I want to stay late at Johnny O’s Jam Thursday night to see all there is to offer. Before that, Danika Holmes is playing at Bass Street Landing. Grazin District and Dirt Road Rockers have an all ages show at the Establishment Theater.

Friday starts with Machine Gun Willy at Friday Live at Five on the RME plaza.  Then at 7:30, you’ll find the Busted Chandeliers along with Lojo and The Pines in the Redstone Room. I had the opportunity to catch the Chandeliers’ gals at Venus Envy. They’ll keep you dancing! Keep Off the Grass is playing the outdoor stage at the River House, Simon Says Uncle can be found at The Rusty Nail, and the Dirt Road Rockers are at Hero’s Pub. Refresh lounge is hosting Danika Holmes. The Muddy Waters has an Avey Brothers birthday bash. The Harris Collection has special guest “Uncle” Zach Harris at Brady Street Pub. That whole “Uncle Zach” thing throws me off – Zach is an impressive young musician, and referring to him as Uncle Zach leaves the impression he’s old or something...

Saturday afternoon, Lee Blackmon will be at the Creekside Vineyard in Coal Valley. Creekside Vineyard has live music every Saturday afternoon this summer and into the early fall. Smooth Groove is playing the Juneteenth festival at LeClaire Park, and you’ll find Chuck Murphy at the Grape Life. The Rusty Nail is hosting The Night People.




No comments:

Post a Comment